Sunday, January 18, 2009

AND ANOTHER ONE DONE . . .


Chris in Moscow sent me this picture of the Christmas quilt she just finished. I rejoice with her in the completion of this beautiful work. I love its simple red and green design. It just looks as though it should linger a while after Christmas to lend a cozy feel to the room. Thanks for sharing the photo. (This is the second quilt Aunt Chris has finished since Christmas. She’s off to a great start.)

Hallie called this noon for a nice catch-up on the phone. She said the sun was shining in Seattle and she and Nick were going out to enjoy it, then maybe take in a movie. It was cold and overcast here – cold being around 32. So, I baked bar cookies in the afternoon and an apple crisp for dessert. Baking does help to boost the warmth of the house.

I went with Mike to TaxTyme late this afternoon. They had a reasonably good start to the tax season Friday and Saturday and the first return transmittal finally came through today. He wanted to be sure it was all in order, so we received and sorted it and I filed folders. (Once a clerk, always a clerk.)

And did you know that you can get your arm stuck between the seat and the console in a car? Mike took the keys out of the ignition when we pulled into the garage and managed to flip them between the seat and the console. So, he went after them the hard way and couldn’t pull his arm back out. His first effort was to try to relieve the pressure by moving the seat. Although the seat moved, he was just as stuck as ever. He succeeded in pulling it out only after we sprayed Windex between his arm and the seat and then not without some bruising. Mike says if I hadn’t been there he doesn’t know what he would have done. Oh yeah – I reached the keys from behind the seat. KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

That's a VERY nice quilt, Auntie Chris. How thick is the batting or whatever you call it?

Have you ever participated in a quilting bee by hand? I think my Aunt Joni was in a quilting bee once.

Kathy said...

I believe the reason you associate Aunt Joni with a quilting bee could be because she helped Grandma Dobson find one when she needed to have a quilt finished. Aunt Joni used to enjoy embroidery work, but she doesn't sew much and I don't think she participated in the quilting bee. KW

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Hallie. And thank you, too, Kathy, for posting my two quilts--I feel quite famous! :-)

The batting is actually quite thin--probably about 3/16" thick. I have never participated in a quilting bee, but I did hand quilt the first quilt I ever made (a twin size), and have hand quilted several wall hanging sized ones. Now I generally use my quilting machine and get them done in a day or less.

Hallie said...

Hmmm...not sure where I got the idea about Aunt Joni in a quilting bee. Do you think maybe Grandma took me to the bee? I have some memory about crawling under a quilt on a loom while a group of ladies worked. I could be delusional--sometimes dreams seem like memories.

I think had quilts are amazing due to the sheer effort that goes into them, but the machine work is so beautiful, precise, and QUICK!

Kathy said...

I will have to ask Joni. I wasn't there, but now that you remind me, I do remember the story of you under the quilt frame. And possibly Joni and Mother worked with them. KW