Saturday, January 31, 2009

A BOY AND HIS TOY

After some experimentation with my iPod, Mike wanted one of his own.

"Do you know? – nearly everyone at the gym has an iPod," he commented.

"I'm not surprised," I said. "You should have one, too."

But, Mike has that conservative nature that just won't quite let him really enjoy what he considers an indulgence. So last Sunday we went to one of the marts and he bought a GPX MP3 player on sale. I wasn't necessarily in favor. We're learning iPod technology; why throw in another brand not really compatible? But he liked the size and certain features and so we bought it – and spent one of the most frustrating afternoons ever trying to figure out how to make it work. He finally packaged it up and we returned it.

Thereupon he ordered an iPod Shuffle personalized with his initials. It's red, which means the company will donate to a fund for African something-or-others (you know the trend for color-coded donating). FedEx attempted to deliver it Thursday when I wasn't home, so yesterday (Friday) I stayed home all day in order to be here to receive it. I didn't want him to miss the opportunity to have it this weekend, especially Sunday – his only free day this week. The delivery finally came at 4:15.

Last night Mike made a playlist of some of his favorite tunes and loaded them into his new iPod – so simple! One excited "kid" went off to work with his new toy, looking forward to using his iPod at the gym – "just like all the cool kids."

10 comments:

Hallie said...

Murray got me into the iPod Nano, which allows me to listen to music AND track the stats of my runs. I've seen some gym equipment where you plug your iPod in and it helps you track your workout progress. I don't know much about that.

How will Dad wear his shuffle at the gym? I have an armband--it does the trick but it's not perfectly comfortable.

murray.warnock said...

A friend of mine used to swim laps every day with his iPod Shuffle and an underwater kit (like this).

Kathy, I made stuffed peppers last night and we really enjoyed them. Doubled the recipe and packed some up for lunches to bring to work.

murray.warnock said...

I would be really interested in hearing what Dad put on his iPod shuffle. Can you let us know?

Kathy said...

The iPod Shuffle is a clip,and he clips it to a pocket or his waistband. Sure -- I can tell you about his first playlist, which includes 45 songs by a few of his favorites: Faron Young, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Sonny James, Sons of the San Joaquin (cowboy songs), Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, and -- now don't laugh -- selections from a James Galway / Phil Coulter album. As I write this, Mike is in the kitchen mixing up a batch of his muffins, iPod on belt, occasionally humming a little.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the green peppers.

debdog42 said...

Go to the itunes store and have Mike check out these artists, unless he knows their work, they are similiar to Sons of the San Joaquin:

Sons of the Pioneers
Riders in the Sky
Bob Wills
Asleep at the Wheel
Marty Robbins

Kathy said...

Thanks for your interest in our music library. You bet! Mike knows his classic country music and cowboy songs. He actually wrote The Ed Daily Show (radio program out of Tri-Cities) and asked questions about an obscure Marty Robbins' song, Waltz of the Wind. Ed read the letter on the air and commented, "You really know your Marty Robbins." And yes, Mike is enjoying the process of downloading old songs. I, on the other hand, like old radio programs, podcasts, and listening to my inspirational CDs. KW

debdog42 said...

Buy your itunes gift cards at Safeway and earn points for the gas discount!!

debdog42 said...

"Waltz of the Wind" by Marty Robbins is available to buy at the itunes store!!!

debdog42 said...

Note for Mike:
My dad went to school with one of the guys from the Sons of the San Joaquin!

Kathy said...

Interesting comments, Deb. The Sons of the San Joaquin came here a couple of times, I think -- once with an LCSC program and another with the Community Concert Series. Very good. Mike has two of their CDs -- likes one better than the other.