Tuesday, February 17, 2009

COPING IN RECESSION

I don't quite know what to think of this recession. It seems like life as usual for most everyone I know. I don't personally know anyone who lost his job because of the recession, though Mike says he's talked to a few such folks in his tax prep business, although he admits some of them are perpetually out of work. Our last investment statement didn't make us happy, but we continue to buy things we want or think we need. We're grateful we don't need to buy a house or a car.

"We spent $5,432.69 on groceries last year," Mike announced out of the blue, and immediately I went on the defensive. "But Mike," I replied, thinking guiltily of expensive indulgences like "fruit bits" and organic 100% cranberry juice, "we always agreed we could spend most anything we wanted at the grocery store. I try to watch specials and use coupons, but I admit to some extravagance. And besides, last year I stocked pantry shelves both here and on the farm with extra food – you know, emergency preparedness."

"That's not the point," Mike said. "The point is, if the two of us spend $100 per week for groceries and we buy very little meat, how do people with families cope?"

A friend told me that she received a Penney's gift certificate for Christmas and hearing a rumor that the company might be in financial straits, she wanted to use it soon. She couldn't find anything she wanted at the local store, so she and her husband decided to spend it on underwear. She remarked that the stock of socks and unmentionables was low and they couldn't find their sizes. "You've got to wonder when they aren't replacing basic stock," she observed.

Mike and I went out Sunday morning and arrived at the shopping center before the stores opened, so we went on to Wal-Mart. We both need new socks and I thought Wal-Mart might be a good place to find some. I couldn't believe how bare the sock racks were. "What would take the stock of socks?" I asked aloud. "Christmas," Mike said. "But it's mid-February," I responded. "You'd think they would have restocked by now."

And this afternoon I stopped at Ross where I noticed considerable bareness. I don't know the ins and outs of retail. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

At Thanksgiving, while Nick and Hallie were here, we watched a documentary on "Black Sunday." I was fascinated. I had heard of the "Dust Bowl," of course, but I hadn't realized how horrible it was. From that program I learned of a book, "The Worst Hard Time," by Tim Egan, which I am now reading. KW

2 comments:

debdog42 said...

Chain stores are on auto reorder and between Christmas and tax time I'm guessing they have decided to cut back on stock in the store. But it's bad when a consumer can't get what they want. Lost sales can't be good for any store.

Kathy said...

It's a changing world -- that's for sure. And the recession is scary.