Tuesday, February 3, 2009

DOVES IN SOUR CREAM

This recipe, a family favorite, was in Mike's collection when I married him.
Flour 6-8 doves in seasoned flour, shake off excess. Brown well in butter or margarine (about 1/2 cup). Pour oil in casserole. Pour in 1/2 cup sherry, sprinkle with paprika and add a good pinch of marjoram leaves. Cook (covered) at 350 degrees about 30 minutes. Put about 1/2 cup sour cream in gravy and cook about 10 minutes longer until hot. Season with salt.

I used a crockpot chicken recipe to cook the chukars. I believe it is called "Chicken Delish."
4-6 whole chicken breasts
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup dry sherry or white wine
1/2 cup sour cream

I find it works best to dredge breasts in flour in order to thicken the sauce. (You can brown the breasts or not.) Place chicken in crockpot. Pour soup/wine mixture over the chicken, seasoned to taste. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4 hours. Add sour cream before serving and allow to heat on low another 15-30 minutes.

I don't know anything about cooking with wine. We've always just used cheap sweet wine and have come to love the sweet flavor. If you're trying to duplicate my dishes, you'll need some Boone's Farm. KW

2 comments:

debdog42 said...

LOL@Boone's Farm! Now that takes me back. You can buy cooking wine and I like it in stew. Look for it near the vinegar.

murray.warnock said...

Thanks, Kathy. I can remember the smell of this dish cooking in the crockpot when I'd come home from school. I'm going to try either the first version with chicken breasts this weekend, or the crockpot version next week.