Sunday, February 1, 2009

RETRO FAILURE



I finished my coat, but there's no particular joy in it. Research has reached me post-production that you have to be tall and thin to wear this style. I guess I knew that on some level, but I just loved the pattern. I struggled to find the right fabric, though, and I began to question to myself the reason this project wasn't unfolding as it ought to. Not only is it wrong for me, it's too big, despite my attempts to carefully reason through the sizing.

"Take it in," advised a friend. "Take two inches out of the back and two inches on the sides. Lay it out again and actually cut a size smaller." But why should I do that when the basic style is just wrong? If I just hang it away, maybe someone will come along who could use it. The more I mess with it, the less likely that will happen.

"That's why none of us sews clothing," said my friend, a quilter. But something in me just doesn't want to give up.

Just thought I'd tell you that I made a retro jacket. I didn't want you to think I haven't been doing anything.
[Okay -- I posted a picture. I was thinking that it would be good and roomy -- and it is -- but when I put it on, it swallows me up and makes me look huge. It puts me in mind of a shopping trip to Spokane with Hallie a few years back. I started to try on a coat and before I got it over my shoulders, she was saying, "Ooooh -- take it off, take it off."] KW

7 comments:

Hallie said...

I guess you don't know until you try. That's a bummer, though.

Kathy said...

When I first got the iPod, Murray sent me a link to a sewing podcast, Grandma's Sewing Cabinet with Dr. Julianne McFann. So, I listened to it, and she read from a book published in 1943 that short people should not wear full jackets with raglan sleeves. She recommended that we all find that book and buy it. There's a lot of fabric in that jacket. Eventually I might be able to re-make it into a vest or smaller jacket so that it's not a total loss. I loved making it -- love the retro styles and patterns. I will try again. KW

debdog42 said...

How about posting a pic for us to see?

murray.warnock said...

I really like the style and the fabric. Sorry you don't feel that it suits you after all the work you put into it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be so late in commenting--busy night last night and I never did get on the computer at home. So here I am at school before the kids get here. The coat is beautiful--you did a lovely job on it. How about slim dark pants and some type of heels when you wear it? It could be very dressy!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. I took it to my study group and those dear ladies said the same thing -- that it's dressy so wear it with heels and slim black pants. We'll see . . .

debdog42 said...

You know, whenever I see these coats on old movies they always look big. I think it's just the style. Have you tried washing and drying it?