Sunday, February 8, 2009

SPRINGLIKE WINTER DAY

This beautiful February Sunday was made for an outing, so Mike and I took the dog and went to the homestead to check on things. We drove clear in to the house; I think just about any vehicle could make it in. The soft ground would be more troublesome than the snow. While the fields are still white, the snow is gradually disappearing. There were a lot of llimbs in the yard, but everything looked fine. We found no mice nor sign of any. I checked my project closet, picked up some embroidery floss, and packed Mother's last recipe box into the pickup. We dismantled the artificial tree and stored it in the barn and put the tv set back in the entertainment center.

Outside I checked the hill behind the clothesline for signs of spring (sprouting bulbs). Just as I decided it was too soon, I noticed some tender green sprouts poking through the ground. The tag said iris but I don't know – could be I also tucked some crocus or other such early bloomers into that spot. We stopped a few minutes to discuss the raised bed vegetable gardens we plan to establish this year.

We were back in town by 12:30. During our travel we continued listening to "Letters of a Woman Homesteader." Once we were home, Mike set to work. He washed the filthy Dakota and his motorcycle. Then we went to Costco where he picked up supplies for work and I bought an iHome compact iPod speaker/clock radio which I set up at bedside. After that I walked Nellie while Mike took an actual bike ride out Peola Road. Nice to have the days a little warmer and a little longer – noticeably light at 5:00.

Tonight Mike will grill pork loin chops for dinner and I'll make an apple pie. KW

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read your description, my mind saw what the page didn't say. It said, "it was a happy day." I hope that is the case. We are currently having thundershowers, a rarity. Quite cool, about 41. It is nice to have the rain, though.

Kathy said...

Yes, it was a happy day. And, of course, we should be happy every day. We forget that in the press of circumstances.

Hallie said...

I'm happy. :)