Monday, March 16, 2009

ON BEING A STARTER

We've talked about how good it feels to finish things. It's good to finish projects and some people are very disciplined in their approach to this, making sure they finish one project before they start another. We lauded Aunt Chris when she finished not one but two quilts around the first of the year.

Well, I'm a better starter than finisher. Awhile back I stamped some dishtowels for Hallie's hope chest. I have yet to start embroidering those. Instead another embroidery project began to take shape in my mind – a pair of pillowslips. I studied the pre-printed varieties for weeks, but desiring better quality, today I bought a pair of Egyptian cotton pillowcases and then by means of the old-fashioned hot iron method, I stamped them with a heart design from my Grandmother Portfors' transfers. Nothing bad happened this time. I didn't scorch the fabric and that little bit of blur won't matter in the long run.

Then I sat down with Mother's left-over embroidery floss – I mean the old stuff. I chose colors with the old J&P Coats "Boilfast" labels. I couldn't believe the old labels on the floss. Besides DMC and J&P Coats, there were "Brilliante D'Alger," Silkine Art Thread by A.T.Co., Lily Floss, Bucilla, Royal Mouline, and Peri-Lusta. A lot of floss manufacturers have come and gone over the last 70 years or so. I could almost hear Mother's admonishments: "Be sure you have enough of each color to finish this project. You won't be able to match the color if you don't."

Tip found on the transfer sheet: Do you have difficulty keeping the recipe handy when you are cooking? Place the recipe card between the tines of a fork and put the fork in a glass. This also prevents the recipe from becoming soiled. KW

3 comments:

debdog42 said...

I LOVE the design you picked for the pillowcases!!! Hearts are one of my favorites things!

Anonymous said...

We used to have a piece of wood in the shape of a flatiron, with a clothespin in place of the handle. The clothespin held the recipe. It was pretty practical.

Kathy said...

I had something like that, too, come to think of it. I think it came home with Milo from Cub Scouts. To be honest, I never thought of using it to hold a recipe. I think I was pretty clueless as to what it was for. I'm not sure I still have it. I was remarking to Mike the other day -- seems like we have some stuff that's missing since we moved.