Tuesday, March 17, 2009

SHADES OF GREEN

Today is St. Patrick's Day and I attended a meeting where 25 individuals wore 25 shades of green -- Christmas green, spring green, gray green, teal, yellow green, etc. Some of those shades didn't belong in the same room together.

That reminds me of the avocado green of the 1970s when I was married. I was never a fan but it's what was out there and so I received a number of kitchen gifts in that peculiar shade of green. I still use some of them. I always thought when I got to this stage in my life I would get rid of the odds and ends of this and that and outfit my kitchen with some truly nice stuff in colors I like. Well, now that I'm here at this stage of my life, I find I just don't care that much. I've had my hodge-podge of bowls long enough that I'm a little sentimental over them.

Take for instance the set of three Pyrex casserole bowls that our elderly Orofino neighbor Eunice Merrill gave me as a wedding gift – three different sizes, two green and one white, with flat lids that just sit on the bowls. The gift came with a nice note wherein Eunice said she felt our marriage was a right one. No, I can't recite a list of my wedding gifts, but I do remember that Eunice gave me those bowls, and when I think of replacing them, I just can't quite do it.

In fact, I broke the white bowl. It cracked when I poured hot liquid from the crock pot into it when we still lived on 12th Avenue. It's likely that it was already cracked. I was disappointed but life went on with the two green bowls and three lids. Yesterday when Mike and I were at GoodWill, I spied one of those white bowls. "Why not?" I said to myself, so I replaced my white bowl for $1.99. (They don't give things away at GoodWill any more.) KW

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good story. I loved Mrs. Merrill--what a lovely lady she was. I remember waving to her each day as I turned the corner to pick you up and she was at her kitchen window.

Hmmm... I didn't get any of the green pyrex. I got the white with blue cornflower corningware. I confess, they're all long gone from my kitchen except for one 8" square pan. I was never a blue and white kitchen person. I do admit to only having items in my kitchen that I truly love. One of my little luxuries.

Chris, who is on spring break, up late, and promises to write a *real* email soon

Hallie said...

Speaking of green, I really like the new frog photo. Is it recent?

Kathy said...

I have cornflower Corning, too -- half a dozen pieces or so, including the 8" pan. I really should follow your example and update my kitchen. I noticed Mike checking out some pots and pans at Macy's and he commented on what nice stuff it was. We might enjoy selecting cooking utensils together.

Frog photo?! I hadn't noticed. Mike must have posted it when I wasn't looking -- probably experimenting with his new computer. I took that photo last summer when they were new.

debdog42 said...

Being married about the same time my stuff is all the gold version. I loved yellow at that time and still use my set of Corelle in "Butterfly Gold" everyday. I also have several mixing type bowls in shades of gold and brown.

While it might be nice to buy stuff in new colors it is unnecessary, I am happy to use mine until they break. I have however given many pieces away that weren't suited to my cooking style. Some I wish I had back.

I also love the new frog pic!!