Friday, April 24, 2009

ANOTHER DAY TRIP TO THE FARM

Sometimes spring comes to our area in February or early March. The days become warm and pleasant. Gardens are planted early. This was not one of those years. After several days of warmer weather this past week, culminating with temperatures in the mid-80s, we are now in the midst of another cool spell. "It feels like fall," remarked Mike. "You know, like when it's been hot and the wind comes up and the weather changes and suddenly it's fall." I hope that statement is not prophetic. Sometimes we have cool summers.

Anyway, cool weather or not, yesterday (Thursday) we loaded a few things -- and Nellie -- into the Dakota, hitched up the 4-wheeler, and went to the homestead. That's what we're really about – the modern homesteading experience. It was just another day trip. Mike had a list of chores, among them to fix the dishwasher, connect the monitor to the computer, check out the 4-wheelers, etc. In the afternoon he sawed up some limbs under the pines in the grove and then I helped him clear the debris. It was a chilly day. I never saw the temperature above 45. Housework for me included the start of spring cleaning, a review of pantry supplies, the making of lists. Together Mike and I switched a couple of mattresses.

I toured the yard. The daffodils under the pines in the grove are beginning to bloom. I'm sure they were originally planted because they follow the border of the grove, but they have gone wild and I should probably thin them this summer. They don't look as large and healthy as they were a few years ago.

Here behind the house the raspberry bushes are leafing out, the currant and gooseberry bushes planted last year are also looking healthy, and the rhubarb plant is making a comeback. The strawberry plants look prolific and I have weeding to do. The soil looked dry to me so I carried water.

And I missed seeing this Royal Imperial Frittalaria at its peak. This one bloomed much ahead of its fellows. I don't know why unless it happens to be in a warmer spot. I look forward to the next bloomers – the iris and the lilacs.

Construction on Highway 12 at the bridge in Orofino had us waiting both ways. This time of year I love to see the service berry in bloom along the river road, filling the gullies with feathery whiteness. We picked up a geocache at Spalding, then returned to the town house for supper. Mike lit a fire in our little woodstove. I turned on the electric blanket. It was 31 at 6:00 a.m. this morning. Temps are predicted to be in the 60s over the next five days -- just not very warm. I suppose it's good weeding weather.

We will spend a few days at the homestead next week but our schedule for the next month also includes town activities.

1 comment:

Hallie said...

Looks like it was a very nice day on the farm!