Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MOSTLY VALUELESS TRINKETS


Mike took the lid off the cache and there she was -- asleep amongst the mostly valueless trinkets – a little pixie with disheveled hair and an odd colorful outfit. I guessed her to be no more than five inches tall. But her familiar elfin features spoke to me: "Madame Alexander," they said. I know that Madame Alexander face.

When finding geocaches, the options are to take a trinket and leave one in exchange or take nothing and leave nothing. "Can I have the doll?" I asked Mike. So I got the doll and Mike left something from his geocaching bag.

On her back she says: 2008 Alexander Doll Company, Inc. – Made for McD's – China. I see she was undoubtedly a "Happy Meal" toy. Online research shows that McDonald's and Madame Alexander have been in partnership for a number of years. Who knew!! Obviously not me. I haven't eaten at McDonald's in years, but if I had known they were giving out little "Madame Alexander" dolls, I would have borrowed little girls and treated them to Happy Meals and bribed them for their dolls. I don't know – maybe adults can buy Happy Meals without a child in tow.

My little doll is Flower Munchkin – one of a set of twelve Oz characters. The tag on her wrist is missing, perhaps removed because some little girl didn't want it there. I don't care – she will look great sitting on the bright green shelf in the vintage sewing room.

I was just explaining to Mike the other day that I have a love of diminutive dolls. I would be a collector if I could justify it. It's not just the money – considerable for some dolls. It's also the lack of display space. So, I wait and watch, and today someone came my way. Besides Madame Alexander, I follow Vogue's Ginny, Jill, and Ginnette and Betsy McCall. I'm interested in just the basic dolls. I'd like to make the clothes myself. Of course, I have my own old dolls (precious and worn), and I don't think Hallie would care if I commandeered hers. I think she has three 1980's vintage Ginny dolls representing two companies – not the best of years for Ginny. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

I don't mind if you want to play with my dolls.

murray.warnock said...

The 80's, while not the best years for the Ginny series, were the classic years for Milo's Transformers.

Kathy said...

Clinton was the one with the passion for Transformers. They survived his childhood quite well and are stored in the loft. Adults were scrambling for those at the time. It's fine to be a collector, but I think kids should enjoy their toys. I don't think Clint has many -- if any -- that have boxes, but as old toys they are in good shape.

debdog42 said...

Kathy,
You used to be able to buy just the toy out of the Happy Meals. Of course you can also buy a Happy Meal, you don't have to be a kid to get one! LOL!