Thursday, April 9, 2009

OUR FIRST SPRING VISIT TO THE HOMESTEAD

The warmer spring weather has made us homesick for the homestead, so yesterday we made a day trip to check on things and de-winterize the house. The day was overcast; the temperature was 56 when we arrived but a strong wind developed. We pulled a trailer with railroad ties we will use to build a raised bed garden. Despite the amenities we have added to the house, it always feels like we're taking a step back in time.

Our first de-winterization task was to turn the water on. We were so relieved – no leaks or problems immediately apparent.

Now, if you're a lover of furry little rodents – if you like to visualize Mother Mouse in an apron, bustling around as she tends to her brood – you might want to skip this paragraph. We next emptied the mousetraps – one in the downstairs shower (why do they like that shower?), four in the living room, two in the service room, none in the oven. Rodents are the downside to country life. And the mice aren't the worst of it! The garden and yard on the south side of the house (see picture above) are riddled with rodent holes and tunnels probably caused by voles. I researched voles last summer and their rate of multiplication is horrific. I spent a good bit of time applying poison (Prozap) to the holes.

When we winterized in December, we cleaned out the refrigerator and turned it off, so Mike plugged it in and checked out the water line. Since it was empty, I washed it thoroughly. After lunch I started the dishwasher. The good news is that I had the unplanned opportunity to mop the kitchen floor. The bad news, or course, is that the dishwasher leaks, but Mike ascertained the problem to be the lack of an adequate clamp rather than winter damage to a hose – an easy fix.

Mike's chores included charging the battery on the smaller 4-wheeler, preparing spots to plant trees in the grove, picking up limbs in the yard, and vacuuming the house. I cleaned the holiday stencil designs off the windows, put away the Christmas ornaments, and inspected the attic. I found a doll I was missing in a big garbage sack with "Boofy," my old stuffed dog. And, as always, I brought back some things – this time my diminutive doll clothes for cleaning, organization, and better storage. I also brought back Grandma Ina's cherished volume, "Happy Homes and the Hearts that Make Them, or Thrifty People and Why They Thrive," by Samuel Smiles, 1889. The focus of the book seems to be the value of the feminine arts, a subject I have been considering lately.

Late in the afternoon, Mike drove the old beater (Dodge Ram) back to town while Nellie and I followed in the Dakota. It was a productive day.

[Photo 1) South side of the house. 2) You can see a few patches of snow in this view to the north. 3) Mike carrying the weedeater. 4) The rhubarb I planted last year miraculously re-appears.] KW

No comments: