Monday, May 11, 2009

FISH AND GAME VISITS THE HOMESTEAD

One morning last January I was still in bed listening to our clock radio as Mike was getting ready to go to work. As a regular feature of the "wake-up" program, they interview a spokesman for Idaho Fish and Game – pretty much not ever interesting to me. But I suddenly became aware in my half-awake state that the combination of words was interesting. "So, if you have a field or a pond that you would be willing to devote to habitat development, give us a call at Idaho Fish and Game." I told Mike what I thought I'd heard, and he said he would call the local Fish and Game office. What I heard proved correct and the wildlife biologist was indeed interested in our property. Problem was, due to the snow and winter conditions we would be unable to host his visit until sometime into the spring. That appointment occurred today.

As we waited well past the appointment time, I remarked to Mike -- "He's the Fish and Game guy! He can't be lost."

"You live in the sticks!" said the biologist as he climbed down from his pick-up. Odd comment from a Fish and Game guy, I thought. Don't those guys mostly deal in the sticks? I can think of other places I call the sticks – not someplace ten miles out of a reasonably-sized settlement like Orofino. Or maybe I should revise my thinking.

He and Mike spent two and a half hours hiking the property with the result that the biologist is interested in beginning some work right away. First we have to discuss with our farmer to be sure these plans don't interfere with the agricultural interests. We'll keep you posted on progress.

After lunch at the farm, we drove back to Clarkston. I thought you might enjoy seeing these photos of a storm this morning. And the last photo is of a dejected Nellie as she waits for Mike and the biologist to return. KW

No comments: