Tuesday, June 16, 2009

ELECTRONIC WOES

It's a long story and perhaps you wouldn't like reading it. Our 37-inch LG HDTV which we loved for the clarity of its picture has developed a problem. We had it fixed under warranty, only it wasn't fixed, and now neither Sears (where we purchased the set) or LG will talk to us. The repairman tells us our best option is to write it off and get a new set. Son Milo has researched the issue and is sure he can fix it, and we have nothing to lose to let him try. Meanwhile, he's in Boise and we're here at the farm and somehow making the two come together is just not happening in a timely manner.

I like to think I'm not addicted to TV, but the fact is I love to watch something before I go to bed – an old movie, a documentary, a sitcom. I can tolerate just so much reading in the evening, then I like a diversion before sleep. Sometimes we can get the LG to work a few hours, especially when it has been unplugged while we're away, but it was not to be last night. It didn't last half an hour, and that was while I was taking my shower. It was not yet 9:00 when I announced to Mike that I had read all I could and was going to bed to fall asleep while listening to old radio programs on my iPod. Like television programming, some radio programs are good, some fair or poor, while others are excellent. Listening to them is appropriate in this old place.

Why not use the computer, you ask. Well, our satellite connection is so slow as to be useless for audio/video downloads. They come in in five-second increments. I update the podcasts while in town because the connection "times out" before downloads take place here at the farm. Nevertheless, we are so grateful for this connection by which we can talk to you.

Then there's the Nikon camera which Mike sent for repair three weeks ago. Talk about a nightmare! First they wouldn't repair under warranty, even though we had registered the camera, unless we provided the original receipt. Once Mike found that and faxed it to them, they said they couldn't find the fax. Then they said they did have it and would repair and ship "by Friday." When it didn't arrive, Mike called again and they said they never received the fax and were waiting for it. The camera was not repaired. So Mike faxed paperwork again yesterday and called this morning, demanding to speak with a supervisor. He now has email confirmation that they received the paperwork. "Good news!" the email reads in broken English. "We have receive your fax and will fix the camera under warranty. But remember – it will take 7-10 business days to repair it." Somehow we aren't reassured.

I'm developing rules of procedure for the purchase of electronics:

  1. Never assume there won't be problems.
  2. If you research a product online, use problem forums, not retail sites.
  3. Because there will be problems, save all receipts. (Tough to convince husband.)
  4. Buy the extended warranty – or consider buying from retailers offering extended warranty bonuses. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

It is a pain to save receipts. I ran into a similar problem and had to go to the store to have them print a new receipt. Even if I scanned my receipts and saved them electronically, it'd be more trouble than it's worth. And of course, what if something's wrong with the computer where I saved the receipts electronically? There's no win.

Kathy said...

That's exactly what Mike says. You two think so alike. I guess my point is that with our expensive electronics and the poor customer service we experience, the process of saving receipts is worth more than it used to be. XO