Tuesday, June 23, 2009

GIRLY STUFF


I've been saving this post for a long time. Knowing that the subject matter is not of general interest, I've waited for an active time to slip it in.


As a child, I enjoyed paper dolls. The set shown here was special to me and somehow survived the years so that I still have it. It helps that the set came in a folder that subsequently protected the cut-outs. Note that it was copyrighted in 1955 and cost $.29 -- hours of affordable fun. In the end, though, paper dolls are expendable, and maybe not so much fun once the cutting is complete.


As you can see, the theme was a wedding party. You can also see by the sample sheet of what remains to be cut out that it was the pageantry of pretty dresses I enjoyed. Most of the guys' clothes and much of the bride's trousseau remain to be cut out. And I think if you knew me in the 1950s -- like if you were my best friend or something -- you can probably see how I could identify with the flower girl -- brown hair and eyes, straight bangs.

Clint was in town from Hagerman this past weekend and Mike rode with him to Boise on Sunday -- Father's Day -- so that he could ride his new motorcycle home on Monday. (That happened.) So being at liberty to watch "chick flicks" on Sunday, I tuned into "Father of the Bride," the 1950 Spencer Tracy / Elizabeth Taylor version. Since we're planning a wedding this year, I especially enjoyed comparing the experience as presented 60 years ago with today. I think today's young couple is more apt to be involved in the process -- in putting together their own special event, while in the '50's timeframe, the bride's parents made the major decisions -- and the movie bore that out. In the 1950's event, the mother-of-the-bride was really the central player, juggling grumbling father on one side and starry-eyed daughter on the other. But in a sense, nothing much has changed in 60 years. The event is still a wedding --a ceremony and a reception -- and that requires an industry of support. KW

3 comments:

chris miller said...

If someone knew you in the '50's, like say they were your best friend or something, they might think the flower girl looked just like you except your hair was longer. Of course said friend did not attend any of the weddings, but I'm just sayin'...

Kathy said...

My mother tried so hard to keep my hair in ringlets. Her older girls had beautiful thick hair, but my hair was fine and thin and did not want to be in ringlets and braids. Nevertheless, Mother kept trying, complaining all the while that she couldn't do anything with my "fly-away" hair. But for Nina's wedding in 1957, my hair was short and permed. Well, short hair was better for swimming anyway, and that's what the friends did in the summer, right? KW

chris miller said...

You betcha!! We logged some serious hours in that pool. :-)