Tuesday, June 30, 2009

RESTING UP

After supper last night here at the farm, we cleaned up and put on our pajamas, then tried to read for a while. "I'm tired," said Mike. "I could sleep for twelve hours; it just doesn't seem to happen." We treated ourselves to small portions of strawberry pretzel salad, brushed Nellie's teeth and put her to bed, then climbed the stairs ourselves. It was 8:55 when I tuned into an episode of "The Great Gildersleeve." We watched a beautiful sunset to the northwest, glad that we enlarged the bedroom window – one of our few concessions to exterior modification of the house. I think we heard "Gildersleeve" but were not awake for any other program.

We went back to town last Friday. Mike cleaned the car inside and out that afternoon and also changed the oil. I got my hair cut, and while I was out I bought a AAA membership in preparation for our Mississippi trip coming up in a couple of weeks. Saturday I drove to Richland (150 miles) for a meeting (topic: The Sermon on the Mount), taking two friends with me. It was a long day – I left the house at 5:45 a.m. and was back at 7:45 p.m. – but the inspiration was worth it. While I was gone, Mike split and stacked wood, did some weeding, picked up some supplies, loaded the old trailer with some dirt for the horseshoe pits – and I'm sure he rode his new motorcycle someplace. He also set up the Nikon camera which was finally repaired and returned after much tribulation, and he also reviewed the Nikon manual. Sunday he rode 68 miles with the cyclists – a supported ride – and was gone most of the day, while I shopped for groceries. I know – it's shopping for groceries, hardly worth mentioning, but it becomes a big deal when we're going to the farm. Even with a list, I have to anticipate needs. Produce is where I generally come up short.

Yesterday (Monday) morning we got up early, packed our provisions into the pick-up for return to the farm, and were on the road before 8:00. We decided to take the river road (Hwy 12) but had to wait 20 minutes this side of the bridge at Orofino. Since we were sitting at the cemetery, I reviewed some old family stories for Mike's benefit. Coming into the farm with a good view of the "north 40," we once again spied a brown animal moving in the field, but by the time we were close enough to really see it, it was gone. Perhaps it's a badger.

Upon arrival we discovered the trailer had a flat tire. Mike worked hard for more than an hour to repair it. Then he shoveled the dirt we brought into the horseshoe pits.

It's really no wonder we were ready for some rest. Once again we were awake before 6:00 a.m., but at least we had the benefit of going to bed early.

[The photo is of Nellie where I found her this morning -- sleeping on the chaise on the front porch. She prefers this now to her house in the woodshed.] KW

No comments: