Friday, July 24, 2009

“I GAVE IT TO YOU”

No, you didn't give it to me," I replied when Mike discovered he didn't have his Discover card.

"Don't you remember," Mike went on. "We were standing at a counter and I gave you my card for some reason."

"I'm sure I would have remembered your giving me your card," I countered. "Besides, I don't have it."

"It must have been when we checked into the motel. Remember – I gave you my card."

"Why would you have done that?" I queried. "You are more systematic than to give me your card."

So, we went through his jeans and emptied his billfold. We checked through my purse and all of the receipts. No Discover card. He asked at the desk of this motel. The last time he remembers using the card was when we were checking in, but they didn't have it. Mike even accessed our account online to be sure the card wasn't being used.

Then suddenly today, I remembered that odd call from Johnny, alias Leroy Jones, when I interrupted Mike's transaction at the auto parts store. "Were you using that card when I gave you the cell phone?" I asked Mike.

"THAT'S IT! Remember, I gave you the card."

"No," I replied. "I gave you the phone. As I took your place, that cash register failed, and the associate and I both stepped to the next register. The total wasn't much and I paid with cash. I didn't have your card."

"I left my card on that counter," said Mike as he flew to the phone to call the auto parts store. "I think I left my Discover card on your counter a couple of days ago."

Yes, she said, and they had stashed the card away safely, awaiting his call.

Getting around is still problematic for Mike. He says his sense of direction has always been off in this place. Then when you take away the familiar landmarks, it's even more difficult. We know the address of the store but we don't know just how to get there. But he is spending the afternoon with Johnny.

"Get Johnny to help you," I suggested.

"That's what I'll do," said Mike. "After all, it's his fault anyway!" Well, not really. We were just excited to hear from him.

[More photos taken at Jonny's farm.] KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Oy! Never a dull moment!


That's one hot doggie.

chris miller said...

These posts cracked me up!!!