Tuesday, July 14, 2009

NOTES FROM THE VINTAGE SEWING ROOM


Getting ready to go on vacation, I had some projects to finish in the vintage sewing room. Granddaughter Emerson in Denver turned a year on July 6, but since we're heading that way -- and she's only one -- we decided to deliver her gift in person. Somehow the simple little sundress with matching panties I made for her was more difficult than I thought it would be. It was hard to get that rick-rack placed just right. Then I ran out of rick-rack. (I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. I think the amount was listed incorrectly -- I really do!) I'm sure the little outfit was better practice for Gramma Kathy than it is practical for a toddler to wear -- there are such great outfits for little ones in the marts -- but never mind. This is just the first of impractical gifts from Gramma Kathy's Bernina. I had to laugh to myself when I thought of Ralphie in his pink bunny suit made by an eccentric great-aunt. I can just hear the Mile High Warnocks talking at Christmas now: "That Gramma Kathy just always sends you the cutest things! Go try it on and then you can put it in the closet." Still, it's great practice to sew for little ones (and dolls).

Finishing the sundress, I moved on to the next project -- make a skirt for myself out of a dress I picked up at a rummage sale. No, I'm not in the habit of buying my clothes from rummage sales, but this long sleeveless dress with matching short-sleeved jacket took my eye. For one thing it looked like the type of casual dress I could use, and for another, I wanted to try it on. It's a Draper & Damon, recommended for the "mature figure," and I wanted to know how it would fit. A size 12, it was too big for me in the bodice (just look at those huge armholes!), but I found myself cogitating over the fabric in the long skirt. "I could easily make a short skirt out of this dress," I said to myself. And today was the day. I determined the length I wanted the skirt to be -- somewhere below my knee -- and the length was about what I wanted by cutting just below the zipper. All I had to do to finish the skirt was to make a casing at the waist. I didn't have the right kind of elastic on hand but I found some cording in my stash. I made a buttonhole through which to thread the cord, then finished the narrow casing and threaded the cord through it. A new tank top under the oversized jacket will complete the outfit. I'm not really an innovative seamstress, so I'm proud of my success. (At least, it was successful in the doing of it. I hope I like the outfit.) KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I think that will be a pretty little garment for Emmy.

Kathy said...

Thank you. I look forward to giving it to her while we're visiting the Mile High Warnocks in Denver. XO