Wednesday, September 16, 2009

1,000

Geocaching is not really about the numbers to me but, nevertheless, there are a few milestones that are nice. Today I logged my 1,000th cache. There were a few caches up in the Blue Mountains in southeastern WA that had sprung up since grandson, Jack, and I were up there summer before last and logged a bunch. One in particular that interested me was called “Wenatchie Guard Station”. At this guard station is a flagpole and the cache is attached to the top of the flagpole. The cache itself was a small capsule about 2” long by ½ “ in diameter with a log rolled up in it that was attached to a clip on top of the pole. There was no practical way I could log the cache on top of the pole so I had to climb up, unhook the cache, climb back down, retract the log with some tweezers, stamp and date it and then climb back up and clip it back to the top of the pole. I should had brought my Easy Button to hit when I finished. There were about a half dozen more up there and it just worked out that the flagpole turned out to be the 1,000th. Ken went with me and we traveled about 90 miles getting caches and looking (unsuccessfully) for grouse. This last picture was one in a rock cairn called "The Sound of Music". It offered a beautiful view. It was a fun day.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

My nephew, L.J., and I went with Mike when he logged his 500th cache. That was about 18 months ago. So, in a year and a half he found as many caches as he found in the previous five years or so. Many individual geocachers have logged thousands of caches, so in the scheme of things, "1,000" isn't a big number except to us.

Hallie said...

How many other people have climbed that pole for the cache?

M/W said...

I believe two others have done it.