Sunday, September 6, 2009

CELEBRATE – CELEBRATE – CELEBRATE


My best childhood friend and pal, Chris, now lives not far from me in Moscow – about 30 miles north when we're in town but farther when we're on the farm. We were both born at the old hospital in Orofino, Idaho, where women in labor were required to pass an initial test – climbing the stairs to the second floor. It was scorchingly hot that August of 1949, I heard tell. Chris made her appearance first and is 24 days older than I. Therefore, I have the privilege of observing how she handles landmark birthdays before I pass the portal. She says she's very happily 60 and reports that she's making a great adjustment to retired life. When she told me about her birthday celebration this year, she described several events, including shopping and a small family gathering in her honor. It evoked poignant memories for me when she said her mother came with a cake. But the point was that she enjoyed spreading out the celebration, and this year that happened for me, too.
Hallie wrote last May and asked what I would think if she and Nick set a wedding date of August 29. "Your wedding anniversary will forever be the day after your mother's birthday," I wrote back. She said she didn't mind that – and this year the family would be together. Things have a way of working out for the best, and a few weeks after that conversation I was relieved that they had chosen that August date when reunions in Mississippi were scheduled on the July weekend she had been considering. (I allow myself a little joke -- It was good that Mike could be at Hallie's wedding.)
My first birthday celebration occurred when we took the Bernina (last year's birthday present) to the shop for its one-year service and also bought the embroidery module. I told Mike he could call it my birthday present if he wanted to, but the reason I have it is that he bought a motorcycle. I am excited for the opportunity to learn about machine embroidery. I hope it's not too frustrating.

Then, the night of the rehearsal dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Seattle, which was my true birthday, the staff sang "happy birthday" to me and presented me with a chocolate sundae. That was the first our daughters-in-law knew it was my birthday, and they suggested Sunday brunch in my honor. So, we went to Endolyne Joe's in West Seattle (as in end of the trolley car line – now defunct) and enjoyed another meal together. Hallie and Nick were still in town and joined us there. The family gave me just the greatest gift -- gift certificates to Jo-Ann's Fabrics. I'll probably spend it all in one trip to the store by buying thread, but it will be fun. KW

[Photo 1 is of Mike with Kelly and Emmy; photo 2 is Kathy at the Mexican restaurant; photo 3 is the family brunch with Yancey and Kelly in the foreground and Kathy at the far end of the table.]

1 comment:

chris miller said...

So now I made my mom's birthday stretch out! Dad treated her on Sunday, the "day", and Dan and I took down pizza, key lime pie, and her present yesterday. An 84th birthday is a big deal! (I think she loved the pizza more than the table topper I made her!! But maybe not...)