Sunday, September 13, 2009

WALKING TO THE MAILBOX

Mike rides his bike almost every day. While he's gone, Nellie and I walk to the mailbox -- a mile from the house. The minute Mike is out of sight, Nellie is begging to leave for the walk. Most times it's not a problem.

We don't walk to the mailbox because we'll find mail there. We rarely get mail in this place. Friday was the exception. I had ordered a book and had it shipped here on purpose for the anticipation of finding something at the mailbox.

You know, I just love those folks at Amazon.com. They send me an email message now and then, kindly recommending books that they think I might like to have. "Amazon.com has new recommendations for you based on items you purchased or told us you own," and then they'll list about eight books, any one of which I would love to have in my library. Occasionally I bite. Yes, they have my number. This time I ordered Victory Quilts by Eleanor Burns, the queen of quilting. I love the quilts she showcases and the bits of history she offers. So, on Friday I found a black plastic bag tied to the mailbox. I untied it, removed my book, and stuffed the bag back into the mailbox. I have so enjoyed dreaming over that book.

Nellie particularly loves the walk this time of year. She finds apples under the apple trees and plums under the plum trees. And she's always on the lookout for game birds. She doesn't find many here, but she practices by pointing meadow larks. Apparently meadowlarks have a little scent to them. We're so used to her practicing on the meadowlarks that we're really surprised when she gets up a stray pheasant or a covey of huns.

And, of course, just because it's late summer and harvest is over doesn't mean we can relax vigilance with regard to rattlesnakes. In fact, I was startled by the familiar buzz of a rattler yesterday as I walked down the lane. I stopped dead in my tracks until I could locate the snake lying in the ditch. I took this photo with the telephoto lens.

The harvesters left this lovely road over June's place and I love to walk back to the house this way. This is actually the route that my family used to access their property, the adjacent homestead. It's sort of a homely route -- doesn't offer much in the way of interesting or changing scenery -- just passes through a field. But I'm fascinated to think of the years my ancestors traveled this road, passing Aunt Bertha and Uncle June's house and then opening the gate and passing into their own farmyard. My half-brother Chuck is coming this afternoon. I'm in hopes he can help me identify the location of June's house.

And -- Hallie called me yesterday as she and Nick waited for their flight to Seattle out of Atlanta. She said the weather in Ireland had been chilly and rainy. She was exhausted and battling a cold. But it sounded as though they had seen interesting things. I look forward to hearing more about Irish castles and such. KW

No comments: