Friday, October 23, 2009

LOOK WHAT I FOUND . . .


Earlier this year, Hallie asked if I would share on the blog some of her Grandma Dobson's (my mother's) recipes. I admit to being stumped at first. Since I hadn't eaten regular meals in my parents' home for 40 years, I had to give it some thought and the process has been fun.

Anyway, in the same timeframe as Hallie's request, Murray asked for my recipe for mustard green beans, and I responded that I knew there had been a recipe in my family, but I had never seen it. I simply put some margarine and a little mustard on the beans. But -- as I was researching recently with Aunt Bertha's letters as my guide, I came up with my mother's recipe for "Green Beans Piquant." She had written it by hand in the back of a little group cookbook dated 1933.

GREEN BEANS PIQUANT
Cream 4 tbsp butter with 1 tsp prepared mustard, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp salt, pepper, cayenne. Serve on 4 cups hot green beans.

On a daily basis, you might not prepare 4 cups of green beans, but based on the amount of beans you cook, this should give you a guide for other ingredients using a dash of this and a splash of that. After all, you want your beans to be "piquant" and not overpowered by the strong mustard and Worcestershire flavors.

It's raining here at the farm, but my spirits are undaunted. We'll go back to town today. Tomorrow pheasant season opens in Washington State, so Mike and Ken have hunting plans. Then Sunday Mike will tackle the Dakota's water pump. KW

1 comment:

murray.warnock said...

Barbara is roasting a chicken Tuesday, and if I can find some good green beans, I'll try this to go with it. Thanks, Kathy!