Thursday, October 22, 2009

MORE PHOTOS


"Where do you and Mike live now?" asked an acquaintance I hadn't seen in years.

"We live an unenviable lifestyle," I replied. "We try to keep two places." And I explained to her about the farm (the old family home place) and the modular home in town.

"Oh, no, that's all right," she said. "I know exactly what you're talking about. My parents did it for years between the house in town and the home place near Genesee. But –" she paused, "it's always at the other place. No matter what you need, it's always at the other place." We laughed. So true.

Here are pictures of today's tramp at the homestead. Same place – different views. The time between harvest and seeding (late summer / early fall) is really a window of opportunity to walk the fields. Once the fields are plowed, it's not so easy to hike around -- sometimes ever impossible.


If you look carefully in the photo to the left, you can see Nellie "working the field." For some reason I couldn't bring myself to crop this photo. The low, wispy clouds sit above the Clearwater River. And the photo on the right shows Central Ridge between Big and Little Canyons framed by the crisscrossing topography of the farm fields.


And this last photo I took "in the forenoon," as my dad would say. Somewhere out there Farmer Kyle is still working at his seeding. I could hear him but couldn't see him. KW


4 comments:

debdog42 said...

What was Nellie doing, chasing mice? HAHAHA!!! She looks like she's having fun anyway.

Kathy said...

Nellie was hunting Hungarian partridge (huns). Huns lie in coveys amongst the stubble in the fields. Hopefully Nellie will catch their scent, go on point, wait for Mike to creep in, then flush the birds.

We're careful with what bird population we have and are pleased that Fish and Game is helping us improve habitat. Mike believes there are four coveys of huns on our property.

murray.warnock said...

Beautiful photos, Kathy!

debdog42 said...

I love the pic of Nellie so much I have it on my desktop right now!