Tuesday, October 6, 2009

OUR CHANGING WORLD


I was looking at one of Grandma Ina's cookbooks last night – The Portland Ideal Cook Book, compiled by the ladies of the Geo. Wright Woman's Relief Corps, Portland, Oregon, 1905. I can tell this "softbound" book was one of Ina's favorites because of its worn condition. It fell apart and she (or someone) sewed it together – perhaps several times -- and some pages are splattered with food substances. It's one of those fundraiser-type cookbooks wherein the members donate one or two tried-and-true recipes. We all know about such cookbooks or perhaps have one or two or six on the cookbook shelf. I just didn't know organizations had been using this format for – well, over one hundred years.

Anyway, Ina made good use of this cookbook. Every other page has ads – probably meaningless to Ina -- so she covered those advertising pages with recipes and such items of interest as she liked, clipped from newspapers. I think it's kind of ingenious and proves that in any age the management of information one desires to keep on hand calls for inspiration. At any rate, I enjoy reading it for its out-of-date methods and recommendations, whether printed in the book or saved by Grandma Ina.

The ads are fun, too, and the following seemed especially a propos since Hallie has shared with me some of her trials in changing her name and marital status.

WOMAN'S CONVENIENCE

This Bank is calculated to be of

special convenience to the women;

a place where they can come and

FEEL AT HOME. We welcome

small transactions, and gladly

explain matters of business when-

ever called upon to do so.

OREGON SAVINGS BANK

KW

4 comments:

chris miller said...

Hmmm, apparently women only deal (dealt) with "small transactions" and need(ed) matters of business explained to them. Well, when I think about it, that does describe me! And to think I was a business major for a year!!

Kathy said...

Apparently the Oregon Savings Bank was looking to find a niche. I thought of the women with their egg and butter money, maybe some did laundry to augment the family income, etc. Or maybe some just saved out of what was given them for the household.

Hallie said...

Well, the teller at Bank of America who barely spoke English did not do a very good job of explaining much of anything to me.

Women's Bank of Oregon (new niche): "We can explain matters of importance in English."

chris miller said...

Hoo Ha! That should be the motto of every service department in America! Sigh... I wish!

On the other hand, my calls to exotic locales have increased over the years!!! (I always ask what country the person I'm talking to lives in.)