Thursday, November 5, 2009

QUICKLY ADDICTED – YAY!

"Machine embroidery is an expensive hobby," I read, "but those who try it are quickly addicted." Just getting the opportunity to be addicted – just getting my system up and going – has been problematic.

"Perhaps this machine – running off a laptop – isn't the best way to go," I observed. But experienced individuals said that it should work and work well. Others have done it.

"The problem is," I told the woman next to me in the machine embroidery class, "that I have stepped into an arena on my own. I've always had a lot of support with computer issues, but now I'll have to be my own computer tech." How intuitive this proved to be.

The embroidery program I installed on my laptop has something called "EC on PC" whereby the computer transfers the embroidery info to my sewing machine. It slowly began to dawn on me that the problems I was having with my embroidery system related to "EC on PC" and probably had to do with Windows Vista. I knew I would have to solve it myself. I refused to be frustrated as again and again I moved through all the steps I could think of.

Finally, after reading the hardware manual and the software manual and even trying the online manual, I decided to do a Google search for "EC on PC," which took me to a Bernina troubleshooting site. "If you have Windows Vista and are having difficulties with EC on PC in a version 5 program, you MAY HAVE TO DELETE SUCH AND SUCH A FILE," I read. Instructions followed.

"Should I?" I asked Mike. "Go ahead," he said.

And this is how "at sea" I am with my computer's operating system: Mike had to come and help me find the file. But there it was! I uninstalled it, then rebooted my laptop, and with the very next try, "EC on PC" activated and I was embroidering my first solo design. "You can hit the easy button," said Mike.

Addicted? You bet! And only limited by the lack of thread in my stash. KW

5 comments:

chrismiller said...

Yay!!!!! (I just went back and added two more exclamation points!) Hooray, hooray!

Ahh yes, thread. Just start a list of colors you have and those you want. They make great presents and stocking stuffers (are you reading, Hallie??). Pick up a spool each time you stop by Becky's and you'll soon have your very own thread stash.

Kathy said...

Yes, buying a spool at a time is a good idea. It's amazing how many holiday designs I can do with my limited collection, especially since I have red and green. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. A basic box of crayons is eight, then 16, then 24. Conspicuously missing from my stash is blue. I'll have to take care of that.

chrismiller said...

Funny story. Our Pastor's mom has a machine like mine and loves embroidery. One day her husband was looking at her supplies and said, "Wow! You must have $100 worth of thread in here!" She just smiled and said, "Could be." Boy did we giggle over that. :-)

Kathy said...

LOL -- so true! Another funny thing -- I was panicking over the cost of the thread, then our instructor pointed out that it lasts a long time. I hadn't even considered that.

chrismiller said...

Yes, it really does last a long time. The only time I really go through it is when I'm making lace because I use it both on top and in the bobbin.