Friday, January 22, 2010

HE’S IN THE ARMY NOW

[The long letter dated Nov. 27-29, 1942, written from the Army Presidio at Monterey, California, continues:]

This is my third day in the army and yesterday besides having a turkey dinner with all the pie, cake, turkey, fruit, etc., we were issued our uniforms, clothing, and barrack bags. It has been all right so far and I expect before many days we will be sent to our permanent camps for basic training. We have not had much drill yet. Everything we start to do en masse takes a long time. We marched to the barber shop three times today and have not yet been able to get a haircut.

This morning about 7:15 we went to a lecture on insurance and dependents allotments so I have got the wheels turning but that cannot be finished until I reach my camp. Yesterday they got us up at 4:30, it being our first morning in camp – some sort of gag to impress the rookies, I took it. We got our chores done and sat around almost an hour before we were marched to breakfast. This morning we got up at five and I surmise it will be 5:30 tomorrow.

Last night we went to a hall and heard the articles of war read – necessary but dull – and saw three educational shorts on army life and the evils of SEX – dull also but necessary. It added up that we were pretty much on the go from 4:30 to 9 at night. Even so we all seemed to have trouble getting to sleep. We are quartered in a comfortable barracks here at the Monterey Presidio and feel very lucky for a lot of the inductees are shunted up on the hill about a mile away in tents and they say not too good. Today has been misty and rainy so it has been rain coats every time we go out which has been mostly to the barber shop, then right back to barracks. It is pretty country down here and from what I have seen not at all densely populated. We are not allowed off the post and have had only the first night off to go to the PX (post exchange). We are to be given leave again tonight and I bet you I buy some soap. After lunch today the corporal had us sort out our civilian clothes and go thru our issued clothes to check misfits and slip-ups. I got everything except a khaki field jacket with zipper which I will be issued at my next camp – they being out of my size here. The story about the two sizes, large and small, is erroneous, I am glad to report. I got a very good fit in my uniform and shirts. You may be interested in what is issued so I'll list it:

  • 2 pairs of regulation army shoes (I wear a #9C now)
  • 3 pairs light cashmere wool socks
  • 3 pairs of mercerized tan socks
  • 3 handkerchiefs (we can also keep our own of which I brought about one dozen)
  • 3 pairs white underwear (shorts and shirts)
  • 2 suits of fatigue clothes which are of a green cotton gabardine and consist of pants and matching buttoned blouses
  • 2 sun tan suits which are made of that good quality cotton drill with shirts of same cloth, one with sport collar and one for tie. These "sun tans" as they are called, are the official warm weather uniform.
  • Then, of course, we got our wool uniforms, the official O.D.s, which consists of 2 pairs wool pants and one coat or "blouse," as they call it [see photos right].
  • For head gear we were issued the regular overseas cap in both the wool and sun tan.
  • Then there was one light tie and one black tie, leggings and toilet set.

I did not buy the plain-toed oxfords. I had thought to but will at my first opportunity. I also am going to get a sizable and durable toilet kit and writing kit. Now I know you are thinking what admirable Xmas gifts those items would make, but I have such a need for them I will not wait for Santa if I get an opportunity to pick them up. I suggest you confine your purchases for me to soap and such and a good old-fashioned pork or fruit cake for they ship well.

[So, it looks like my dad saved his official "blouse" and that I still have it. It's moth-eaten because I am not taking care of it. I'm sorry, but I think that WWII memorabilia abounds, including uniforms, and that the world is not looking to the daughters of old privates to maintain collections. Does anyone know what the green tree on the left sleeve signifies?

Note that Daddy suggests "a good old-fashioned pork or fruit cake" as a Christmas gift. So, I guess Ina was still making pork cakes in the 1940s from her mother's recipe. I posted that recipe last year and even experimented with it some before concluding that it was a waste of time and money. Better recipes exist today -- and I know a number of ways to find them. KW]


6 comments:

Hallie said...

I found a site with an image of an acorn patch from a WWII uniform, which is the 87th division. I believe I'll discover that the tree is the division patch--I'll let you know which one! :)

Hallie said...

The tree is the US Army's 91st Infantry Division patch! For those interested, go to Google Images and search WWII Division patches. There's quite an array!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Hallie. I appreciate knowing.

Chris said...

Yay to Hallie! I looked and the only thing I found was a link to your blog! I was going to look some more but decided to see if someone had found out, so glad I checked first.

I have one of my dad's jackets, but it's one he had retailored in Austria into the short "Eisenhower" style. I used to take it to school along with other things he gave me, like his map from D-day, to share with the kids on Veteran's Day.

murray.warnock said...

Vance in his late thirties sounds more amused and unintimidated than someone 20 years younger might be. Laughed out loud about the multiple trips to the barber shop.

Kathy said...

That's an excellent observation, Murray. I don't think Vance is intimidated either -- not like someone right out of high school would be. The young inductees would be half his age -- or, to put it another way, Vance is old enough to be their father. He comes at the experience intellectually. I have also wondered about the position of young officers having to bark at these "old dudes." Vance is more like someone who signed up to see the world rather than someone going off to war.