Tuesday, January 5, 2010

JOE KNOWLES

It's funny how things happen sometimes. I had just laid my hand on a couple of frames tucked between two boxes when Mike called to me: "Do we have more of those etchings?" We had two more, and I had my hand on them.

We had hung a collection of etchings during the holidays, all of them by artist Joseph Knowles from copper plates. Our interest piqued, we read an old newspaper article about the artist and discovered a forgotten "survivor man." The following is comprised of excerpts from that article, "He Won Fame in a Bearskin – The Life of Joe Knowles," from The Sunday Oregonian, Portland, January 3, 1943.

"Mourned as an Artist on Coast, His Death Recalled Woods Feats to the Old-Timers of Back Bay," by Peggy Lucas, Astoria Free-Lance Writer.

On October 23 one of Boston's largest newspapers, the Post, carried a big front-page illustrated story on the death in Seaview, Wash., of a man named Joe Knowles. The picture was that of a burly fellow, wearing nothing but a bear skin and a scowl. Bostonians still remembered Joe Knowles, "the nature man," who in 1913 entered the wild Maine woods barehanded and bare-bodied to stay for 61 days in proving that the brains of modern man could cope with the brawn of Mother Nature.

Knowles was wined and dined, ridiculed and defamed. His exploits touched off a whirlwind of debate in the home of the baked bean. One hundred thousand people gathered to welcome the "nature man's" return to the bosom of civilization.

On the Pacific coast, Joe Knowles' death also received front page attention, but the obituaries were written in different tone. The bulbous-nosed man with a head like a St. Bernard's and hands as light as down, was mourned as a great artist. For when death ended the saga that was Joe Knowles' life it closed the book on many vivid chapters: a sailor, newspaper illustrator, lecturer, author, motion picture producer and actor, showman, nature tamer, Boy Scout councilor and creator of fine etchings, water colors and oils.

Joe Knowles' works are in homes all over the United States and have been sent to art lovers in China, Russia, the Philippines, Germany and South America. He had been commissioned to do governors' portraits, federal art project etchings, paintings for the navy. He made hundreds of different etchings and paintings during his 15 years in Seaview. . . .

He began his artistic career as a night shift illustrator on the Boston Post and as an occasional cover designer for such magazines as Field and Stream. . . . In the slack intervals of the night shift the artist used to tell "the boys" . . . of a dream he'd had of spending a couple of months in the woods alone, depending on his two hands for food, shelter and clothing. They said it was impossible but the more they poo-poohed the idea, the more insistent he was that it could be done. . . . And he decided to prove it. . . . Arrangements were made with the Post to sponsor the trip in return for exclusive rights to the story and Joe entered the Maine woods in August, 1913, to prove the resourcefulness of his mind and body. His entrance was made about 60 miles from Canada, but to escape game wardens, he crossed the border and traveled about 150 miles into the Canadian wilds.

Shortly after the "nature man's" stories, deposited in a cache for a reporter, started in the Post, the rival Hearst paper appeared with stories and affidavits to discredit most of the statements Joe was making. Knowles' explanation was that the Hearst paper, piqued because the exclusive story had upped the Post's circulation some 30,000, bought off the Post reporter who was handling the story and bribed game wardens in the area to deny many of Joe's most important allegations.

A bearded, leaner Joe, clad in the skin of a bear he had slain with his two bare hands, came out of the woods two months later, to be greeted by cheering crowds and a host of public officials.

Infuriated with the adverse publicity given him by the Hearst organ, Joe planned to bring suit. Friends convinced him that a better way to bring all-around credence to his story was to repeat the adventure, this time under Hearst ponsorship. So he offered his plan and the Hearst San Francisco Examiner agreed heartily, if Joe would agree to make his second venture into a forest completely unfamiliar to him.

About this time Joe went for a visit with his friend, Jack London. London urged him not to accept the Rockies or the Redwoods, either of them the Examiner's choice, because there was not enough food in them. He suggested the Siskiyous.

So the experiment was undertaken in the summer of 1914 and Joe stayed in the Siskiyous 31 days. This time his activities were carefully checked by authorities hired by the Examiner and Joe was the fair-haired boy when his experiment was ended. . . .

Joe wrote a book, "One Alone in the Wilderness" [I found the title to be Alone in the Wilderness], the story of his Maine woods adventure, which sold over 30,000 copies. He produced and starred in a motion picture of the same name and in another entitled "The Nature Man."

After appearing on the Orpheum circuit on the Pacific coast, Joe took his motion pictures to Portland but people were beginning to get too jittery over the war – that was 1917 – to take much interest in a great adventure that was past. So Joe accepted an opportunity to act as a councilor for 200 Portland Boy Scouts who were to spend the summer months near Seaview. . . .

[Joe] was a hard-working artist but a speedy one. It was not unusual for him to start in on an etching plate during the night and to work straight through until dawn. His copper plates were completed, depending on their size, from one to three weeks after he had completed the original sketches. He was an unusual artist, too, in a number of ways. He disliked to exhibit his works and he charged minimum prices.

[In the early 1990s, I showed one of the etchings to an antique appraiser who told me she knew nothing of Joe Knowles or the value of his work. Several years ago I attempted to research Joe Knowles online and found little information. But online research today yields thousands of references – not all this Joe Knowles, of course. Perhaps the current "survivor man" genre has served to bring up old exploits. Mike and I decided that we should buy, read, and leave in the farmhouse a copy of Joe's book, Alone in the Wilderness. Also of interest is a new book – Naked in the Woods: Joseph Knowles and the Legacy of Frontier Fakery by Jim Montavalli, published in 2007, which comes highly recommended by reviewers as an entertaining account of Joe's "back to nature" experience. We have obtained both books and look forward to this reading. The photos I scanned from the old, badly yellowed newspaper article. I plan to have it copied as it is deteriorating badly.] KW

16 comments:

murray.warnock said...

What an interesting character, and how fortunate that you happened to research him. I really like the etchings, too. Will you post a photo of the third one?

Kathy said...

Alisha -- Thank you for letting us know that you have been visiting. Welcome!

Murray -- I haven't taken close-ups of all the etchings, but I do have one of Mike's favorite. BTW, I like your photo -- a self-portrait?

murray.warnock said...

Built-in camera on the laptop, taken at work.

Kathy said...

Ah yes -- I have one of those cameras. One day I was exploring my computer. "What's this?" I asked myself. Next thing I knew I was looking at myself. And when Jack was here, he was totally entertained with the webcam.

Anonymous said...

I just came upon your blog. Joe Knowles is a relative of mine and I have heard about him all my life as he is my great uncle on my mom's side. I have read his book as my mom had on old copy and have some copies of his sketches. Thanks, Dawna

Kathy said...

Thanks, Dawna. I think Joe would have been an unforgettable character to anyone who knew him.

d moore said...

I have two original etchings of JK. Both are of ships one was called "Midwatch" #226 and one "The Flying Dutchman" #253. I would sure like to know if there is any intrest out there for these etchings.

Kathy said...

D. Moore --

Twenty years ago I took several of the Knowles etchings I have to a local antique show for appraisal. The dealer said she had never heard of Joe and knew nothing about the etchings. She offered to research and get back to me, but I never heard from her.

Bottom line: I don't know what value they have. Since I wrote this post, I have found two more Knowles etchings -- unframed.

d moore said...

Thanks for getting back. These are framed and have a typed discription on the back about the picture. The picture is signed. I'll keep checking around to see what I can find out. If I get something new to share I will let you know. Doug

Greg said...

Hi There While researching this etching I came across you. Your information has been Very helpful. I just have one ? Do any of your etchings have signatues like this? The only ones I have been able to find are much more personalized.http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9234078
Presently I'm the high bidder
with 3 hours to go. What an interesting guy!

Kathy said...

Hi Greg!
If memory serves (because I'm not where the etchings are at this time) most of mine were simply signed by Joe Knowles. I don't remember the words "etched by." And two of them were inscribed to my dad.

Thanks for sharing the info about the bidding process. Good luck! KW

Anonymous said...

I have a "Morning in Gloucester" signed etching #139 by Joseph Knowles. Where may I find out more information about him and his work. THANKS
Judy
JudyHArms@aol.com

Kathy said...

Hi Judy! I wonder if you just saw the comments and missed the post. This post on Joe Knowles is based on an article written by Peggy Lucas, "He Won Fame in a Bearskin - The Life of Joe Knowles," which was published in The Sunday Oregonian, January 3, 1943. I recommend the book by Jim Montavalli, Naked in the Woods: Joseph Knowles and the Legacy of Frontier Fakery. I'm grateful to Montavalli for his book.

Jo Anne said...

There are wonderful murals by Joe Knowles at the historic Monticello Hotel in Longview, WA.

Unknown said...

Hi Greg, I'm working on an article for Atlas Obscura, the online magazine, about the life of Joseph Knowles. First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to type out this article and upload these images. I would love to use the images of Knowles you uploaded in my story, if that's alright with you. (They're some of the only ones available on the net of Knowles in his later years.) Any chance you ever got around to scanning them to a higher resolution file, which you could email me? If so, my address is robertmoor [dot] freelance [at] gmail. Thanks a million!

Anonymous said...

my great grandfather knew him and was given a picture,unfortunately my aunt stole it