Sunday, January 17, 2010

NOW WE MUST WAIT . . .


[The letter of Sept. 17 continues. Vance is writing to the family on the farm at Gilbert, Idaho, from Chester, California, where he has been working. Note his attitude toward serving in the army. He also has no information about the next steps. I think he would have taken the uncertainty in stride but can't answer the questions from home.]

I was talking to our machinist out at the plant a few days ago and he has had his preliminary [physical exam] over six weeks ago and has not yet been called for his final examination. That is why I think I may have several weeks ahead of me. I am not planning much on a deferment and so far as I know I am in good health. But they say they give you the works. If one does pass, this chap tells me, you are given ten days to settle personal affairs. In that case I will do my best to get home before selling the car which I intend to do. I am sorry you got the impression that I was called immediately and that was why I stalled about writing. You will never know, however, what a relief and comfort your letters were to me. When it comes down to it, I do not mind going and there is no sense in crossing the stream until the bridge is built. It is hard to say at my age whether or not I will see foreign service. I rather hope so as long as I get in. I have thought pro and con of enlisting but have decided not to. I'd rather take my chances as a private. Then if I am worth promotion I will know it.

. . . The job has been highly entertaining but aside from welding and using an acetylene torch for burning, which I have learned since being down here, I'm afraid I'm not much of a boilermaker. The climate is wonderful and I feel fine. I'm brown as an Indian and have long since lost my waistline.

Did I tell you that the wild geese nest in this country and are to be seen any day feeding in the open pastures? To me that is remarkable. The coyotes howl by night and the hunters are here in gobs infesting the woods by day but are having poor luck due to the good weather. The deer are staying high up because of the heat and dryness. I wish all of you could have come down here for a visit.

In case I go I shall apply for support for dependents [to benefit his parents at the homeplace]. I think it is allowed and it should be . . .

4 comments:

Hallie said...

In what ways did Grandpa use his welding skills in the future? I think that would be a very useful skill.

Oh, I also wondered how your grandma came up with drinking water when she lived in that house with no plumbing. Did she boil water to drink or did they bring it in a tank? If it was in a tank, where was it stored? Was it hooked up to the house?

Kathy said...

I can't say for sure about the welding. Maybe Chuck will come by and offer some ideas. I do know that he had a welder's coat, helmet, gloves, and wand. And you're right -- it was a useful skill and he did occasionally mend something, I believe.

Originally the family hauled water to the house from a spring, and I don't know what kind of contraption they used. Probably a barrel. Then, in the winter of 1936-7, family members dug the cistern that remains at the back door. They had different ideas about the purity of water back then. I don't believe they boiled it. I remember my dad giving me a drink from the cistern and talking about how cool and refreshing it was -- not like the town water. Then, when he realized we shouldn't drink the cistern water, he hauled drinking water to Grandma from town in a galvanized garbage can. He did try to rig a pump from the cistern to the house but that wasn't successful and we were back to pulling it up out of the cistern by means of a rope tied to a pail. I was not allowed to do that -- even when I was well old enough to.

Toni said...

Fascinating reading, Kathy - both your father's letters and your remembrances in your comments. Life was certainly different back then.

Chuck said...

Vance was a reasonably good welder, and even taught me some things which I improved upon at the University of Idaho. He repaired equipment and kept things running until expert mechanics were required.