Friday, January 8, 2010

ONE WEEK IN -- NOTHING DONE


I never used to make New Year's resolutions. Why set myself up to fail? Then I read that people who make resolutions are really more progressive than those who don't. So I "turned over a new leaf," and for what it's worth, I take time at the New Year to consider what I accomplished in the year just past and to re-shape my goals.

Last year slipped by without a lot of personal accomplishment. I say "personal accomplishment" because Mike and I were very busy. I think of that wonderful trip to Mississippi and Hallie and Nick's beautiful wedding and receptions. But as a retro homemaker, I failed miserably. I started many things I didn't finish and didn't fulfill my resolutions. No need to cry. I simply start over. Each day, each month, each year can be a new beginning.

Step one in the process: Buy a 2010 engagement calendar. Mine happens to be the Marjolein Bastin Nature's Journal. Step two: Identify a spiritual goal for the year. Step three: Identify activities to be pursued during the next year. And like a child who takes way too much food on her plate, I have way more to do than I will accomplish. Still, the activity of organizing is a good exercise and always benefits me.

This year I am facing my unfinished projects. In addition to writing down those things that need to be finished in my journal, I have physically filled Hallie's bed with some of them. In fact, since I took this picture, several more have been placed there. I have resolved not to start any new handwork projects until I have finished some of these. And -- we're one week into 2010 and I have made no progress except to write my goals and organize the work. Maybe that's enough for the first week.

I'm really good at organizing the work and making plans and not so good at staying focused and getting things done. This year I resolve to use my engagement planner / journal on a daily basis for better accountability. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Looks good to me! Let's go, sister! I keep my knitting in a basket by my favorite spot in the living room, and if nothing else gets done, I knit a row and I've accomplished something!

Kathy said...

And that's so true! It's easier for me to make progress with my crocheting because I can do it most anywhere. Row by row, seam by seam, the work eventually gets done.

I admit to some distraction that interferes with what I accomplish, but I also have activities of value that I can't put on the bed. I keep up with my study group, serve as an officer in an organization, walk the dog, fix supper -- you know what I mean.