Monday, February 15, 2010

THE BARRACKS

Since I wrote you just yesterday I think I'll describe the barracks to you. They are two-story buildings about 70 feet long and 30 feet wide. There are about 30 single steel cots on each floor, 15 to each side with a wide alleyway down the middle. There are two doors at either end and from one end a stairway goes to the 2nd floor. I am on the ground floor, but I prefer the upper for they are generally warmer and there is less traffic through. Each barracks has its own hot air heating plant and they are adequate when properly fired. Sometimes the janitor seems to take Dutch leave and we freeze slightly. When we are in barracks we usually sit upon our beds for there are no chairs. We can sit on our lockers but not so comfortable. I can't write so much about routine because it changes so much from day to day. However, we always line up at 6:15 each morning for roll call. Between 6:15 and 7:30 we must eat breakfast and clean up the barracks and be properly uniformed for whatever the day calls for. We generally have an hour at noon for chow and mail call and after the afternoon session return to barracks a little before 5:00 p.m., change into dress uniform, and turn out for retreat which is the evening ceremony at which the flag is lowered. After that we go to chow, have evening mail call, and the rest of the evening is ours. Sounds simple, doesn't it? And it wouldn't be so bad except for the climate and the fact that the general is such a fresh air and fresh water fiend.

I got the shirts and am returning them for they are not heavy enough to be much force. I guess I left my sweat shirt somewhere else for you would have recognized it had it been there. They are of grey material (cotton) and fleece-lined. I bought two yesterday over in Jacksonville so expect to be able to keep warm. I did wear the heavier ribbed shirt you sent for a few days so you'd better wash it. The other two are not soiled. You will note that the box and paper are yours to me in reverse. I put some unusual Christmas paper inside which the Hannan's gift came wrapped in because I thought it would make such pretty cut-outs for your next year's boxes. I am going to turn out for regular duty tomorrow and I think I'll be able to stand it. Oh, yes, I, too, read A Christmas Carol. It was reprinted in Coronet magazine and I found I had forgotten most of it.

Love to you, Vance

6 comments:

Hallie said...

I have so many questions at this one, it's hard to believe!

- Where does the expression "Dutch leave" come from? Mom, had you ever hear of this?

- "...yours to me in reverse." That is an odd way of saying that, but I understand.

- Pretty paper cut outs: Would great Grandma cut out the characters/pictures on wrapping paper and decorate a plain brown box?

Chuck said...

I think Dutch Leave is essentially the same as AWOL, or just deciding not to do something.

These letters give me the impression he was not too fond of the army. I look forward to hearing how the end of his army life came about.

Kathy said...

No, I had never heard the expression "Dutch leave," so I Googled "to take Dutch leave" and was referred to the Dictionary of American Regional English. "Dutch leave" means leave taken without permission or without saying anything; AWOL. In a previous post, Vance wrote that Lt. Simpson had "come out flat-footed," and I had never heard that phrase, so I looked it up, too. It means firmly, frankly, bluntly, resolutely. I should bookmark this reference volume.

Yes, I think Grandma Ina would have re-used the wrapping paper in the manner Vance suggests, particularly if he gave her the idea. Remember -- this is an age when goods are not readily available and if they were, they were not affordable, especially for those practicing subsistence living (the folks on the farm).

Reduce, re-use, recycle: people used to do it because they had to. For many years it seemed stupid to us to live that way. Now some of us are giving that a re-look.

Chris said...

So interesting to read all of this. Can you tell if most of these new soldiers are older like your dad, or if it is a mixed group? I'm wondering if they have rifle training, etc. The early mornings would definitely do me in...

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
Yes -- Early mornings and also evenings. My research shows that there were seven drafts during WWII. My dad would have responded to the third one -- men 20-21 and 35-44 years of age. So, there could have been some young guys.

Rifle training? Stay tuned -- coming up!

Kathy said...

I mentioned the "pretty paper cut outs" to our friend Mary Jane today, and she said, "oh yes," she remembered decorating Christmas packages with cut-outs and stickers. She said often the paper was just plain. And that sparked early memories of helping my Grandma Portfors wrap and decorate Christmas presents.