Sunday, February 7, 2010

CHRISTMAS LEAVE, 1942

[This is the continuation of a series of letters written by my dad from boot camp in the winter of '42-'43. Posts began on January 15.

Over the weekend I discovered genealogical info on the Montgomery family, my dad's cousins. Fay was born November 6, 1904, so is just six months younger than my dad. She married a dentist, Stanley Peters, in 1923, and Mavis (born 1925) is Fay's daughter. So, at the time of this correspondence, Mavis is 17. Fay also has a baby. Grant was born October 6, 1906, so is two and a half years younger than my dad. That makes him 36 and also old for soldiering. These folks were never players in my life. I don't know what happened to them.]

Jacksonville [Oregon]

Dec. 26, '42

Dear Folks,

Yesterday we did our best by Christmas and today we are being quiet so far and doing some letter writing. I didn't rise until nearly 11 o'clock this morning. Fay, Ruth, Mavis and I sat up until 1 A.M. last night so naturally all slept in. I have had a room at the neighbor's because they were overcrowded here. Grant didn't get home for his leave which was a great disappointment to everyone but most of all to Grant, I know. His company was quarantined late Wednesday afternoon just a few hours before leaves started for spinal meningitis. There have been a few cases in camp and as soon as someone comes down with it that company is put in quarantine at once.

I got here Wednesday night about 10 P.M. My leave was supposed to start Thursday at 6 A.M. but my top sarge sent for me Wednesday evening and told me I'd better get the hell on my way and that he didn't want to see me there Thursday morning. I was very surprised. I had already called Fay that afternoon and arranged for Mavis to meet met at 9 A.M. Thursday morning in Medford but I decided I'd risk it so got ready and took off. I was delayed catching a bus and it was 8:30 before I got to Medford. Fay has no phone at the house so I tried the cab companies but it was an hour before I could get a cab. Finally one arrived with two other soldiers bound for Jacksonville and I walked in on the folks at 10. They were very surprised and pleased and I was glad to find everyone up. In fact Ruth was still baking and the kitchen was full of cookies, cake, and pies. I was still very hoarse but I sat and rattled on until after midnight. My cold has been improving day by day and I am almost back to normal today. My leave expires tomorrow (Sunday) morning at 6 a.m. so I will go back to camp sometime this evening and it seems just like going back to prison. I surely have enjoyed my three days of civilian life.

Fay's baby is very cute and husky and Fay looks very well. Ruth and I had a couple of afternoon strolls and visits and got pretty well acquainted. She really is a grand gal – not pretty but lots on the ball. She cooked the Christmas dinner and did a good job of it. Our main dish was a 6 ½ pound loin of pork roast and it was really delicious. I have put in several sessions at the piano which seemed to please everyone.

Thanks for all the cards and good wishes. I read several of Aunt Mabel's and Aunt Bertha sent me a card here. Your package did not arrive before I left but may be there when I return – so I went ahead and read the inside sheet and I'm sure you made wise choices in what you sent. I'll thank you in advance.

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Okay...let me get this straight. Fay got married at 19, had a baby at 21, and another baby at 38? I was getting confused on the names. We've actually not see a photo of Mavis, so I guess we'll just have to take Grandpa's word for it. I guess Stanley didn't have to enlist?

Kathy said...

I know the names confuse you. I'm sure some readers don't care about these details, but I'm putting them down for posterity. Someday you'll say, "Oh! I remember. Mom wrote about that." But I will say, I think it takes getting a little older to care about these things.

Apparently that's right about Fay's family. You know, I look to find what I want to know on the internet, and it just doesn't know about these personal things. But today I did find that Stanley Peters died in 1971 at the age of 83, survived by his wife, Fay Montgomery. So, if he was 83 in 1971, that means he was born in 1888 and hence was 16 years older than Fay. Well, it happens. He was too old for the World War II draft.

I also found evidence that Mavis was still alive in 2002 -- still in Jacksonville. She would be 84 now.

I know I have a picture of Mavis at the farm -- somehow still separate from the rest of the photos. I need to correct that.