Friday, February 19, 2010

ON RIFLES, MEALS, AND LEISURE TIME

[The letter of January 1, 1943, continues:]

Tomorrow I go on rifle range for the first time to fire the N130 rifle otherwise known as the Garand but not called that in army parlance. Some of the fellows have been out already. We get to fire only three shots tomorrow but that will probably take us all forenoon with all the coaching, etc. We have been learning the rudiments of firing positions by practicing on the floor of the barracks. When we do stunts of that kind in barracks we stand our bunks on end against the walls. Grant [his cousin] has already had some firing practice and has done very well at it although he has done very little shooting. I am very erratic with a gun so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I have been re-reading your last letter, Mother, and found it coherent though I can imagine how you felt with two days to Christmas. I take it you had a white one and I am awaiting the account of your day. [The photo is of the farmhouse and grounds as they might have appeared during a white Christmas. Note the depth of the grove -- many more trees than today. And note, too, the orchard to the south (left) of the farmhouse.]

We had the forenoon off today but worked this afternoon. Our food was nothing special today. We had salmon fried to a crisp at noon and tonight our main dish was macaroni and cheese which I enjoyed. Day before yesterday we had turkey for dinner (noon), so you see there is no rhyme or reason to how menus come up. For the most part, the food is fair but quite heavy and starchy. We generally have canned fruit at supper and we almost always have some kind of citrus fruit or apples at breakfast. Generally we have a raw salad of some sort at dinner and very often they serve soup at dinner. As you see, our noon dinner is the heavy meal. We have coffee at least twice a day and not of too good quality. Of course, we take our meals in one of the company mess halls. I have done K.P. duty only once here so I expect it any day again now. Our beds are comfortable and lots of ventilation. There is lots of reading material in the day room if you can find the late issues in the mix up. I have been buying the Readers Digest. It is $.15 at the post exchange. And I buy Time whenever I can find it. The newsboys come around almost every day. By the time we do our chores and write letters there is not much time left. I have a formidable correspondence list.

Yes, one of the fellows has a small radio and it is good. Of course, there isn't much chance to hear the really good programs. The general taste doesn't run to such. There are "general protestant" services on Sunday but I have not attended.

Love, Vance

P.S. I haven't mailed the package of shirts yet. Have to go some distance to do it.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Loved hearing about standing the beds up so they could practice firing positions! Three shots...hmmmm. But with all those recruits, that's probably a lot of bullets when they may be in short supply and needed in the actual war. And I loved hearing about the "newsboys" who show up daily. My how times have changed (thinking internet here).

Kathy said...

I hadn't thought about ammunition being in short supply for training, but I'm sure you make a valid point. Speaking of the internet, how about daily mail call and having to answer all those letters? Writing is a choice, but still -- it was acknowledged that the mail was important to morale.