Friday, February 26, 2010

MORE TRIVIA ON CAMP LIFE

[The very long letter of January 17, 1943, continues. Just think how many hours went into writing letters at that time. Just think how many hours we spend on the computer nowadays in the interest of social networking alone, not to mention so many other pursuits.]

I am answering your last two letters now so stand by. As far as "eats," there is no trouble in getting rid of them. Quite the contrary. I have shared the last two-thirds of most of my cakes with the bunch and they do likewise.

Do not bother about a sweater. I have plenty of clothes now to keep warm and last week we were issued four-buckle rubber overshoes. They keep the feet warm and dry but are they heavy! It's some fun trying to run in them.

I have written Harry Llewellyn [his supervisor with his previous employer] for an affidavit and should have it any time now. I hear rumors of lots of men being released here but I doubt it for most of them wouldn't have had time to get action on their releases. The army camp is just as vulnerable to rumor as the civilian town. Thanks for all the clippings from the paper. I got a copy of "The Bugle" from Raymond. It is a small mimeographed folder of about six pages of local news which some of the women up there are putting out for the boys in the service. It's a nice idea. They are going to put one out every month.

You asked how much my pack weighs. That depends on what is in it. What is known as "full pack" weighs about twenty pounds, I should say. "Combat sack" weighs about ten pounds. The rifle weighs nine pounds.

I did not hear Roosevelt's speech and I am glad you did and that you have plenty of coffee and sugar. Someway all three seem related. I am sorry to hear of the mix up on the stove. It has been so long coming and them to have it wrong. Maybe you will be able to get one in town later.

I have seen most of the Digests and have been buying them since I came into the army. They are only $.15 to servicemen. I was very interested in what you wrote of J. Paul Snyder. He has had some adventures, too, it seems. I lost track of him after he went to China. I am glad to know he got back all right.

You are right about church, I daresay, but when you hit the pace I've been hitting a whole day to loaf is good for the spirit also, and when I go to church I sit and pick the sermons to pieces just as if I knew all about it. Perfect snob! I'll try it again sometime, though.

We have plenty of garbage cans for waste paper and old letters and we have to empty the cans every morning. We're in the army, you know.

We heard on the radio last night that Berlin had been soundly bombed. Isn't it awful, on the other hand, for mankind to take pleasure at such news. Not that Germany doesn't deserve it. Also heard this morning that one of Kaiser's tankers at Swan Island broke in two and sank in shallow water. Wonder what the trouble is. Can't believe it was sabotage. Must be some faulty engineering somewhere.

We had a flurry of snow a while ago but clear and sunny again now. It has been a relief to have no rain for almost two weeks. I think spring will be nice here but doubt any of us will be at this camp. Rumor has it that they are clearing this camp out sometime which may bear out what you heard over the radio.

By the way, should you in any emergency want to get a "come home" message to me, you are to contact the Red Cross there and have the message come through the Red Cross at Medford, I suppose. That takes the phoniness out of it, you see. I never thought to tell you this before. We hear that in the future the government is to pay the transportation on furlongs.

Love, Vance

[Old time Orofinoans might remember something about J. Paul Snyder mentioned above. I just remember my mother speaking of him. The photo is of my dad and his cousin, Grant Montgomery, taken in Jacksonville, Oregon, near Camp White.]

2 comments:

Hallie said...

How much do you suppose a Reader's Digest cost for a civilian?

Kathy said...

My guess would be 35 cents.