Sunday, February 21, 2010

REAL TIME: LATE WINTER UPDATE



Late winter in the Valley: the days have been beautiful – bright and sunny with temps in the 50s. The last couple of nights our lows have been in the mid to low 20s. Mike's tax prep work is now less intense than it was for the first couple of weeks. Sometimes he steals away from the office for a bike ride, and this weekend he is devoting his spare time to servicing his bicycles. Our evenings are spent watching the Olympics. While others complain about late broadcasts keeping them up, we record them and are further behind with each passing day. We'll still be watching Olympic events into the third week.

I had a lot of fun the day I went to Jo-Ann's and bought patterns for $1.00 each. Knowing that the sale was coming up, I marked my calendar two weeks in advance and had the list of patterns ready, mostly craft items. Last year I came to grips with the fact that I am a collector of patterns and allow myself the privilege of buying them when they are on super-sale. I also check Jo-Ann's frequently for remnants, usually cottons and muslins but also pieces of taffeta, tulle, and satin -- the kinds of fabrics I used to find in my mother's basement. That's the way I'm developing my stash.

Thursday I drove to Moscow for the embroidery club session. The club meets once a month and my childhood pal, known affectionately to my children as Aunt Chris, is the leader. Actually, I have loved learning the ins and outs of machine embroidery in this way, as opposed to a hurried "mastering" session. We work through just one application per three-hour session and take home a finished project. Since I've been going, I've made a Christmas ornament, a valentine banner, a potholder, and embroidered a towel – all of which taught me some embroidery technique.

While I was at embroidery club, I showed off my latest vintage sewing volume, titled The Sew-It Book. Originally published in 1929, it's a compilation of sewing projects for children. It was then that Aunt Chris confessed about the sewing volumes Uncle Dan had picked up for me. You might remember that in the fall of 2008, I was looking for a pattern to make a "frumpy frock," a housedress or housecoat, such as my Grandma Ina might have worn. I wanted to make myself such a dress for a presentation I was to make at the P.E.O. Christmas luncheon. Chris had tried to help me find a pattern and Uncle Dan (her husband) was aware of the search and picked up on my interest in vintage patterns and applications. Well, in the same timeframe, Dan happened to make a trip to the landfill, and there he spied a twelve-volume set of sewing encyclopedia from the 1920s. Thinking of me and my quest for the frumpy frock, he selected five volumes he thought would be of interest. (I just have to say – what a guy!) Arriving home, he announced to Chris. "Look what I got for Kathy!" "No! She can't have them!" was Chris' immediate response. "And you go right back and get the rest of them." So back he went to the landfill, the better part of an hour round trip, but they were already gone. I have to say again – what a guy! Actually, Dan came into the shop while I was there, and I thanked him for thinking of me. I'm so glad Chris has them, but I think it's okay for me to say that if it hadn't been for me, Dan might well have overlooked those old books.

Well, that was Thursday. On Friday I decided to take a step back in time at The Hangar, a local co-op of antique and collectible dealers. It's an old airport hangar where wares are displayed in booths, and I love to spend time there. I wanted to make a rag doll so I was actually looking for silk stockings or something I could substitute. I found a stack of nylons new in the package from the 1950s but no silk stockings. Still, it's always fun to look around there. I bought a Holly Hobbie Christmas ornament (2002) and several books: Sunset's Western Hostess Guide (1938); Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel (1982); Patchwork & Applique (1980); and Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing (1976); plus a Butterick pattern for stuffed animals (1970s – or whenever the envelope price was $2.00). Perhaps I won't keep all these books, but the beauty of it is that for little more than the cost of a magazine, I have some reading material I will enjoy and can keep if I want.

I had decided that on Saturday I would make a sock doll -- yes, regardless of all those unfinished things on the bed. However, in the middle of the night I awoke with a start remembering a scheduled luncheon I committed to attend. (I guess I need to start using my engagement calendar.) It would have been embarrassing had I forgotten to go, especially since I'm one of the "young" members. And at the luncheon I had a great visit with Mary Lou, especially noteworthy because she is Aunt Chris's mother – in other words, an adult with whom I interacted as a child. There aren't many of those folks around. KW

16 comments:

Hallie said...

I went to an antique shop here in W. Seattle yesterday to look for silk stockings for you. It's too bad you're not looking for gloves or scarves because THOSE are in abundance!

Kathy said...

I hadn't even finished the post and already Hallie posted a comment! Thanks for looking for the stockings. I suspect it's a long shot and begs the question, If we found them, should we cut them up?

Actually, I'm developing an interest in the re-use of textiles, but I have problems with the concept. My training is to use the best that's available -- new goods -- for the best finished product. And -- some suggested projects from reused fabric seem useless to me, such as shopping bags from silk scarves. XO

Hallie said...

I like the pot holder. Will you put it on the farm? It fits with the apple dishes. I like the little dotted swirlies on the green fabric.

I have reusable shopping bags but they basically live in my trunk and I usually forget to take them into the store. I'm part of the problem. I should really commit to being more disciplined about that.

Kathy said...

I still get caught in the store without my "green" bags, but I'm making progress.

As I checked out of The Hangar during Friday's visit, the owner mentioned she could use sacks. She said she never has enough. So it was a good excuse for me to return on Saturday and take her some plastic sacks I had on hand. At least they are being re-used.

Kathy said...

Oh! -- forgot to say, yes, I'll take the potholder to the farm. Glad you like the fabric design.

Chris said...

I wondered if you saw mom. Dad came up and spent the day with us. We went to Keaton's birthday party and then he and Dan went to look at "man stuff". I hear they bought some tools. :-)

Boy, now you've outed me as a gift stealer!! I'll never live this down!!! I'll let you look at them. :-) I was so busy reading of my indiscretions that when I clicked on comments and read Hallie's remarks on the potholder, I wondered how she knew what it looked like. Had to go back and lo and behold, there was the picture. Great photo of your work and your new finds.

By the way, I have the Women's Diaries book. Boy, those ladies lived some tough lives. I used to share some of the stories with my students when we were studying the west. I'm glad I live now--don't think I'd have done too well back then. And I love indoor plumbing!!!

Kathy said...

There's enough old stuff to go around. That's just a great story about Dan at the landfill! It makes me smile every time I think of it.

Yes, it was wonderful to see your mom. And she was sitting next to Karen, my Gilbert neighbor, with whom I'm barely acquainted.

Thanks for mentioning the Women's Diaries. I hadn't heard of it, but it looked like a well-researched volume.

Hallie said...

Aunt Chris: Don't feel too bad. To your credit, that would-be gift had been in a landfill. :)

Chris said...

Actually, the books were in a recycling bin, so they were never in the landfill itself. People bring the items and sort ahead of time, the landfill people don't.
The bins are nice and clean and only hold books, so I think we'd all be safe.:-)

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

I LOVE reading the diaries of women during the western movement. The one you bought was one of the first to go into my collection of diaries. Pioneer Women is the one that got it all started and helped me understand the difficulties my great-grandmother encountered. When my bread dough overflowed, it was thinking about writings from the diaries that helped me remember that I have the DNA of those kinds of women within me and that I, too, can handle whatever is thrown my way (not that I'm asking for trouble, mind you!).

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

PS: @Chris~ Is there an official title to that encyclopedia? You know I won't rest until I find it for my own collection...

Kathy said...

Imagine! I discovered this great book all on my own, only to discover my friends on the womanhood trail have had it all along. What did I tell you? -- stuff is out there. And if you saw the bookshelves from whence I discovered it, you would agree that I was led.

I like to think of the strong qualities of spiritual womanhood and nurture those in myself in whatever way my inspiration leads. Yes, I'm privileged to know something of my grandmothers but even if I didn't, I would still feel the link. I love to see the thread of humanity that links us to each other.

If Chris doesn't come back to provide the name of that set of books, I'll ask her in a day or two. Yes, inquiring minds want to know . . .

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

Chris~ Thanks so much for the titles! Kathy forwarded them to me today. I had to teach today and then put on my student hat tonight but I'll enjoy looking up the books using the resources Kathy also sent to me.

Thanks again!

Kathy said...

I'll post the titles in case anyone else is interested: Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences, Scranton, PA. The institute was found by Mary Brooks Picken -- and there's a lot of history online for both the institute and Mary Brooks Picken. She was apparently active in the fashion industry for much of her long life, having influence over much of the 20th century. I think she also developed some of the Singer instructional books. And those volumes that Dan picked out of the recycling bin -- a great find!

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

Just a note to let you know that I found oodles of the Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences books over at the Internet Archive. I love that place.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Woman%27s%20Institute%20of%20Domestic%20Arts%20and%20Sciences%22

Kathy said...

Thanks for that link to the Internet Archive, Dr. J. Last night I was browsing through an old Modern Priscilla magazine, February 1921, and found myself reading an advertising testimonial -- "How I Made $500.00 in Four Months at Home." It was an ad for the Woman's Institute. I wouldn't have given it a second look or a second thought if it hadn't been for our discussion here.