Sunday, February 28, 2010

REAL TIME REPORT: "THE DEAR OLD PLACE"

Things have been quiet at TaxTyme where Mike works, so we decided to run up to the farm yesterday (Saturday, Feb. 27). It was 52 degrees when we arrived there at 10:30 -- warm for this time of year. Mike installed shower faucets, turned on the water, and pushed the fridge back into place. Then he checked in with TaxTyme and found that a long-time, out-of-town client had made an afternoon appointment, so after lunch we drove right back to the Valley.

Here's our farm report: It's very dry. The pond is appallingly low. I say "appallingly" because the pond level is indicative of the water table. There's no water in the pond spillway and the ground between the barn and the pond is dry. We've had a dry winter, and people here love it when they don't have to deal with snow, but without the precipitation, without the snow in the mountains, we will have a dry summer.

What the pond tells us is usually echoed by the cistern at the back door. We use the water in the cistern to irrigate the raspberries and other plantings around the house. We forgot to look, but if it isn't full now, it will run out of water there by August.

Look at this young lilac bush. Not only is it budded but appears about ready to leaf out. Under the bush, some early bulb is getting ready to bloom. Granted they sit in a warm spot. Still, the elevation of the farm is 3,000 feet and this blooming is unusually early.

This is usually mud season, but I could walk anywhere I wanted in my Nikes. I usually have to wait until June for the ground under my clothesline to dry. I could have hung clothes yesterday.

Of course, a lot could change in the next couple of months. Climate change is unpredictable. But, we hear that winter is over.

Mike and I have been planting 60 to 100 evergreen trees every spring. We wonder if we should this year since it isn't practical to carry water to them.

I suggested to Mike that he might till our town garden plot any time, so he did it today. I'll rake it out and plant spinach and peas soon. KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

That sounds like a busy day! Nick got free tickets to the Seattle Home show so we went to Qwest field to check it out. We entered a few drawings--I hope we win! I'd like to upgrade to a full slab of granite for the counter tops rather than the tiles. Hate the darn tiles!

Kathy said...

Ooooh! I bet that Home Show was fun! Good luck!

NOTE: We're still adding comments about the Woman's Institute at the February 21 post, "Late Winter Update." It's amazing how uncovering a little piece of history will enable you to find it everywhere.

Toni said...

Spring is here already. We've had a lot of rain this winter, at least it feels like we have. My tulips and day lilies are breaking through the ground already.

Fingers crossed for Nick and Hallie {smooches}. =)

Chuck said...

I think if you decide to not plant trees this year, it might be a good decision. Rumor has it that the west is supposed to be dryer and warmer than usual, and, as you said, you don't want to have to carry water.

Kathy said...

Hi Toni! I must get out to check my day lilies. I have crocus and daffodils but can't do tulips -- the deer like them.

Hi Chuck! Mike is going to cancel the U-I tree order. We'll probably come by a few seedlings and set them out in the grove or close enough to the house so that we can water them.