Thursday, March 25, 2010

GAINING WEIGHT

Feb. 16th [1943]

Dear Mother and Dad,

I'll take up where I left off last night and answer your letters. First, tho, the goodies and popcorn came today and in excellent shape. They are very good and a few of the fellers say so, too. Fortunately for the cookies part of our platoon is out on a problem so I managed to save a few. They went for the corn, too. Everyone pretty much shares their cake and cookies so every now and then we get a treat, and as I have said before we can buy unlimited amounts of candy bars. I wonder if you'd like to have me send you a box of milk chocolate bars or are the bad for what ails you? Thanks for the cookies. I really do not know whether I'll be able to mail you the can or not but I'll do my best. You see, we have to go to Division P.O. to mail anything and wrapping paper is scarce as hens' teeth. As you said I won't worry too much either way for I really think I'll be out of here before you would mail me anything more.

I went out to Fay's two weeks ago last Sunday. Grant and Ruth went also, Mavis meeting us in Medford with the car. Fay had not been able to get meat because they lost their market at Jacksonville and anyway Fay is very casual about her entertaining. However she had hot light rolls and cinnamon rolls and they were delicious. In the evening she fried off a batch of raised doughnuts and we left there about 9 P.M. simply gorged with food. I did a long session at the piano. I am enclosing two snaps taken on that day. The group is good but my coat looks like sin. I have gained some weight so it really is a little snug for me. Please keep the pictures for me. It is really difficult to keep too many things on hand.

I must say, Mother, that you do a wonderful job on your letters and need never worry apparently for something to write about. I am glad you folks are getting out a little even if only back and forth to June's. It helps break the monotony. It is a comfort to know both of you stood the severe winter so well. So you're reading The Unobstructed Universe. Yes, I recall many of Betty's statements. A very fine book. I have not yet had time to read Beyond the Unknown which I brought with me.

I do a little laundry but only when I run short of small items. We get our laundry done for $1.50 per month so I don't bother. Many of the fellows do all of theirs but I can't see it. No pressing. There isn't much to be done anyhow and it is only $.40 to have trousers cleaned and pressed! No, I wrote the last line on previous letter in the hall where a light is usually on. You'd be surprised how much correspondence is done in the latrine. Sometimes every throne is occupied with late letter writers. To me such surroundings are not conducive to really creative writing. Ha.

[So, the jacket that fit so well in November when he was inducted is now a little snug. My dad never worried about his weight. He said what he gained in winter he would lose with the summer farm work. He did say the diet in camp was starchy and apparently he wasn't drilling enough to work it off. On the other hand, were they fed well in camp in order to "fatten them up" for what lay ahead -- battle on foreign shores, etc.?]

2 comments:

Hallie said...

When you posted these pictures previously I thought Grandpa's jacket didn't fit him as well as Grant's fit, but I thought not to comment on that. So these were actually the photos he enclosed with the letter?

I'm about halfway through the Unobstructed Universe--it's not as creepy as I had feared. It's a pretty interesting read but it's not a fast book.

Kathy said...

Yes, these are the actual photos taken on the day mentioned. My guess is that even though he said he got a good fit initially, it was probably a little more snug than was wise. I just don't believe he gained a whole lot of weight.