Sunday, March 14, 2010

QUICK TRIP TO THE OLD HOME PLACE

We were up by 6:30. Or was it 7:30? Here it is again -- time change messing with my inner clock. I don't mind the switch to daylight savings time so much, though. I'm one who likes the extra light at the end of the day.

Mike and I had already determined to make a half-day trip to the farm, so after a leisurely breakfast and reading the paper, we set off. The reason for the trip was to return one 4-wheeler and bring the other (the little blue one) back. The forecast was for sunshine and "pleasant" temperatures, though it was a chilly but sunny 28 when we got up.

As we neared the top of the Gilbert Grade, I noticed the tall pines were decked out in white frost and beautiful in the sunshine, the effect of fog and freezing temperature. The temperature was 39 and dropping as we arrived "on top." As soon as we stopped in the farm yard, I grabbed the camera and started taking pictures before the sun melted the frosty effect. I was really none too soon with my efforts. Once around the house snapping pictures and bits of frozen moisture began to fall from the pines, quickly turning to rain-like drops.


We had rain in town Friday night, and apparently that was snow in the upper country. You can see remnants of snow in the photos. The pond remains low, but Mike checked the water level in the cistern and said it was fairly high. Here you see Ina's old spirea bush covered with frost.

The grounds were muddy and Nellie was required to stay outside. In fact, before I knew it, my Nikes were wet and muddy. Thank goodness for extra socks and shoes. I had thought I might be able to plant spinach and peas, but the soil in my raised bed was too wet.

The daffodils in the grove are up but not blooming. I think it might be several weeks. I hope it works out for me to see them when they're in bloom.

All in all, a good day -- a good outing.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Great photos! I love the frost on the trees like that--so lacy and beautiful. Like a fairy land. :-) I love the one with the mist rising, too.

When we drove past the turnoff to the Gilbert Grade on Friday I thought of you. Won't be long until you're back up there for extended stays. Spring seems to have arrived.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. And that's right, it won't be long. I look forward to getting the vintage sewing room set up. I say "set up" because it's a mess right now.

Seems like when we were in grade school we used to talk about "Jack Frost." Jack used to do wonderful things to our windows. What happened to Jack? Do children still talk about him?

Chris said...

Oh yes, Jack Frost!! He especially made lovely patterns on windows in the days before double and triple panes. :-) I didn't ever hear my students mention his name, so I guess he has moved on.

Toni said...

Your farm looks so beautiful with the frost on the trees. I smiled when you said you grabbed your camera and started taking pictures right away - totally something I would do. Great shots!!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Toni. I would love to have a camera with manual settings -- or would I? I might just be overwhelmed, and that would be the end of my picture taking. So I guess I'll stay with what works.