Friday, April 2, 2010

Guest Blog: Hallie & Nick's Maui Vacation

Nick and I were inspired to take a vacation to Hawaii this year by the below commercial:



So, for several weeks we went around saying, "I've got to get out of heeeere!" before we pounced on a last minute deal on Travelocity. I had never been to Hawaii and didn't quite know what to expect. As it turns out, it's the BEST! I thought it would be muggy, but it really wasn't. The weather was probably in the 80s with some wind. I didn't mind the wind because it kept me cool, but I wouldn't have wanted to be on a bicycle. The gusts were up to 35 mph!

Highlights of the trip included snorkeling (who knew it was so fun?!) where we saw many beautiful fish and two huge sea turtles. We also enjoyed a luau and we really had fun perusing the shops in Lahaina. Oh! And the hump back whales were jumping constantly and it was great fun scouring the horizon for action out at sea. We went on one organized snorkeling tour on a charter boat and had the wonderful luck of getting within 100 - 200 yards of some hump back whales. I can say that we literally saw TONS of whale. har har!

In summary, it was a much needed relaxing break and I highly recommend a similar vacation to others. I think I look much healthier with a slight tan. :)

-Hallie

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Does the gnome live in your condo? It looks like your window and sofa.

Hallie said...

I have a little metal dog but no gnome. Well, no gnome that I've spotted as of yet--I can't say for certain that there are NO gnomes here.

Chris said...

Fun!! I've never been to Hawaii, probably never will go, but am so glad you did and had a great time! Loved watching the video. :-)

M/W said...

I'll be wanting a much more detailed report complete with pictures.

Hallie said...

I have a few more photos but not many because we were spending a lot of time in the water without the camera.

Chris, why don't you think you'll ever go to Hawaii?

Kathy said...

Chris, are you afraid there won't be quilt shops in Hawaii?

Well, Joni (my sister) and Pat went to Hawaii in the '50s. She brought back fabric for Mom to make me a muumuu -- first we ever heard of muumuus. I loved it and wore it for years -- wore it out. She also brought me a plastic doll, supposedly a native girl, and she brought Mother perfume -- a small bottle in a replica hut.

It sounds like you made memories instead of picture, Hallie. Something to be said for that.

Hallie said...

You know, I actually took mental note of a store called Hawaiian Quilting (or something like that). Wish I had taken a photo or gone in and looked around, but alas, I had a busy schedule of lounging in the sun that simply could not wait.

Kathy said...

It's totally understandable that you didn't leave the beach to shop for fat quarters. A lady at the shop in Moscow told us about a quilt she made from a relative's Hawaiian shirts -- actually purchased in Hawaii. He had passed away, and she did it as a memorial for his mother.

Chris said...

Hmm, something weird is happening with the comments on this page--they were there last night, then they disappeared today. Somehow I just clicked and they showed up...

Anyway, to answer your question Hallie, I'm just not a sun or water lover. If I was going on a "big" vacation, I'd rather go to the UK or Germany.

There is a special kind of quilting that is associated with Hawaii, so I know they do quilt, but I'm not crazy about Hawaiian fabrics (unless they're worn by Tom Selleck in old Magnum PI shows!). I'll admit to owning all the DVD's courtesy of Dan. :-)

murray.warnock said...

Sounds like a great trip, Hallie - glad you were able to go!