Friday, April 30, 2010

STILL HANGIN’ ‘ROUND TOWN

Business and social obligations have kept us from spending time at the farm, and it's just as well because it's a little chilly. The hills show some snow again, but we could really use more moisture. In between events Mike and I have done some geocaching in the area, and I'm illustrating this blog with pictures I've taken on our outings.

My P.E.O. Chapter is having a rummage sale tomorrow, so today I devoted the morning to the set-up. Of course, I'm one of their best customers, and this year I found "treasures:"


  • A silver thimble. I can't find the one my mother bought for me at the jewelry store in Orofino when I was 12. I hope it isn't lost forever, but if it is, I'm over it. I think I just put it away with some project, and there I will find it someday. Mother said if I always wore my thimble when I did my handwork, wearing it would become second nature and I would miss it when I didn't have it. I have missed it and was glad to find a replacement.
  • Woman's Home Companion Cookbook, edited by Dorothy Kirk, 1950. I look for old cookbooks, pamphlets, and magazines. It's part of the "modern retro woman" thing. I let the "sister" who donated the book know how happy I am to have it.
  • 3 quilting books: Patchwork Gems (1996), Debbie Mumm's 12 Days of Christmas (2000), and Better Homes and Gardens 501 Quilt Blocks (1994). It's always great to find quality how-to books at affordable prices.
  • A Ty "Beanie Buddy" stuffed animal frog for the "frog ranch." I would never have chosen that theme for the farm, but it seems to stick. Not only did I pick up the plush frog but also a ceramic "mama" frog with three "babies." By the way, some young lady turned in her whole collection of "Beanie Babies," much to her grandmother's consternation. Remember when we sought them and certain ones were elusive and expensive? Oh, how soon things change!
  • A pair of muslin pillowslips, old but still in the original unopened plastic sack purchased from Newberry's. Remember Newberry's? Remember the Lewiston store? If you're under 40 (or you aren't from here), I'm afraid you won't remember. Mill End Fabrics was the last business located in that building, I think. Anyway, the pillowslips are just the thing for some of those pillowslip projects I've been planning.
  • 2 yards of new home decorator fabric suitable for an apron or a shopping bag – or something,
  • A "weeping earth" candle, still in original wrapper, by Firecraft Handmade Candles, New Mexico. The wrapper says, "We created this candle to be a symbolic reminder of the fragility of our planet. It is designed to drip and sculpt itself into an ever-changing landscape as it burns. Be creative! Burn some wicks while others cool. Pinch, cut or mold the warm thin walls to form your own unique sculpture." Hmmmm.
  • 4 hardback novels selected by Mike.
  • A hummingbird feeder – the kind that's a ball shape with a single spigot. I suspect those are impractical – but hey! -- for the price I'll give it a try.

Then there's the down quilt that Harriet (my real half sister) slipped to me outside the sale. She said that it was a Christmas gift from our Aunt Sara and Uncle Porkie and now that she's moved from the country to the Valley, it's too warm for her bed. She suggested I take it to the farm. I also "bought" other household sundries, but that stuff isn't so cool – and you've probably heard way too much about all this anyway.

As I arrived home with my carload of stuff, Mike left for his bike ride. While he was gone, I quickly spirited the stuff into the house and put it away. My philosophy is that as long as you can put it away, you're safe. KW

6 comments:

Hallie said...

What is that peculiar stuff in all of your photos making it so bright and colorful? Oh...sunshine! How novel!

I now know exactly where you've been all around town. That was nice of Aunt Harriet to give you the down quilt. Was it hand made? I didn't know quilts were stuffed with down.

Kathy said...

I have to admit it was a pretty day when I took those photos. Do you really know where I was in all those photos?

Well, maybe "quilt" was the wrong word. It's a comforter. The tag says "The Company Store," and "down." It's a solid gray blue.

Hallie said...

Let's test it:

Photo 1: Down by Modai (sp?) Park near the Veteran's home
Photo 2: North Lewiston somewhere
Photo 3: 6th street near the North Idaho Children's Home (is that called the Reno addition?)
Photo 4: Way over on Prospect Blvd looking over downtown
Photo 5: Same road, just further West
Photo 6: Hellsgate

How did I do???

Kathy said...

Amazing! You missed #2 and I thought you would miss #3. #2 is from the parking lot of Sunset Park (think T-ball games). But I am truly impressed that you knew #3.

Yes, I was on Prospect where it curves around above the west end of Main Street. I took a lot of photos from that spot.

Chris said...

Love that you whisked the stuff in the house. :-) Sounds like you got good stuff!! The quilt books really sound good.

The pictures are beautiful! We're up here in snow, rain, and wind. Oh yeah, and the occasional glimpse of blue sky!

Kathy said...

Today I had to whisk even more stuff into the house -- a purple Beanie Baby for a grandchild, a naked "Barbie" type doll to dress for next year (experiment on my part), several more books, another pair of pillowslips, and a dozen cookies.

The 501 Quilt Blocks book seems especially good, and I'm sure the Debbie Mumm book is good. One of our members identified a Depression-era quilt at the rummage sale -- beautifully handmade and worn out.

I'm sitting here admiring a rainbow as I type.