Friday, April 16, 2010

A VIEW FROM THE TOP


Yesterday (4-15-10) I drove to Moscow (30 miles north) for the monthly meeting of the embroidery club. Chris showed us how to make this lovely little pincushion. Such a delightful meeting! No minutes of the previous meeting. No voting on this or that. Not even any dues. "Ready? -- everybody stitch!" says Chris, and that's that.

I believe this was the sixth embroidery club meeting I have attended. I take with me my sewing machine, embroidery module, laptop, and sewing box. Unfortunately my set-up involves three detachable cords -- the sewing machine, the laptop, and the USB cord that connects the laptop to the sewing machine. For the first time I managed to leave necessities behind -- the sewing machine cord and the embroidery foot. Fortunately they were able to loan me these items at the shop. Maybe I really should make a checklist.

It was a warm (76) but hazy afternoon as I drove back to Lewiston, and the afternoon is not a good time to take pictures anyway. Nevertheless, I stopped at the viewpoint at the top of the Lewiston Hill and got out with the camera. Now the elevation of Moscow is officially 2,579 feet, while Lewiston sits at 745 feet. In fact some people say Lewiston is at sea level. At any rate, the descent into Lewiston is rather dramatic. "They told me the elevation would drop by 2500 feet," said a traveling performer who came to Lewiston from the north. "They just didn't tell me I would do 2,000 of those feet in the last six miles."

The picture above looks south and shows the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers. The Snake comes in from the south (top of the picture) and divides not only Lewiston (on the left) from Clarkston but Idaho from Washington. The picture to the left shows the confluence, the Interstate Bridge, and Clarkston. Bridge Street shows prominently off the end of the bridge. Those readers who know Lewiston will note that the Twin City Foods plant has been demolished. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I'm guessing that pin cushion is very small, but it's hard to tell. What is it filled with?

Kathy said...

I think it's about 4x5 or so. It's a "trapunto" effect -- the dove has extra stuffing. Chris was so well organized that we completed the project in a little over an hour. Then I had time to look around the shop. I selected three fat quarters that I think look "retro."