Monday, May 31, 2010

AND THE WINNER IS . . .

I believe in nurturing the inner child. By that I mean we should pursue interests that bring wholesome enjoyment to our lives. Along those lines, I've been thinking about buying myself an American Girl doll, so last year I ordered the company's catalog and signed up for their email newsletters. But after considering well my reasons for buying, I decided against a new doll. I just want to be a participant in this fad and create a unique wardrobe for an American Girl doll. I love dolls but I'm not a doll collector – not really. "Mint condition" and "new in the box" are not phrases that apply to my stuff. I'm hands-on with my collectibles. So, I determined that I wouldn't mind rescuing a doll in reasonably good condition, and the model I wanted was Kit Kittredge, the Depression-era historical doll. She reminds me of my Aunt Shirley with her straight blond hair, clear blue eyes, and light freckles across her nose. I can just see my Kit in her Depression-era sugar sack dress with white starched apron.

So, last week, on a whim, I registered on eBay. I have put this off for years, but I finally wanted something badly enough to sign up. I was amazed at all the American Girl dolls and accessories offered on eBay, and when I narrowed the field to Kit Kittredge, I found plenty to choose from: Kit new in the box, Kit gently used with three outfits and no shoes, Kit barely played with in original box having smudge on cheek, etc. I lost my first two choices in the last minute of bidding. I am neither fast nor a strategist – yet. Or maybe there's just too much competition for this stuff. And I couldn't believe what folks were willing to pay for those used Kits! I reminded myself that I'm a grandmother who doesn't care about clothes and accessories. I'm going to make this doll a unique farm girl wardrobe.

Then, I saw her. A naked Kit. The seller said the doll had been "gently loved," and the photograph showed a doll that seemed to fit my criteria – one that needed rescuing. Somehow that Kit had my name on her and I submitted the opening bid, only to regret it when I looked at the other "Kits" in their clean loveliness. Suddenly I had the sneaking suspicion that $50 was too much to pay. I knew instinctively that no one else was going to bid on that doll. That was both good and bad – I would win the bidding but maybe I had paid too much.

And so it proved Friday afternoon at 3:20. The auction closed without the last minute flurry of bidding activity. I watched as the page congratulated me, the winner. I dutifully paid immediately and chalked it up to experience. One thing is sure, I noted to myself. This Kit needs me.

But – on Saturday I received a message from the seller, asking if I had noted the condition of the doll's legs. Polite discussion ensued. The seller said this Kit had been her daughter's favorite American Girl doll, and I thought maybe they were having second thoughts about selling her. After all, I still have my favorite doll – all of them – and I told her I would be willing to back out of the sale. In the end she found she could tighten the doll's limbs, and I agreed to accept her. I felt good about the purchase.

She'll be shipped tomorrow (Tuesday) after the holiday. I can hardly wait for her to arrive. Oh -- and her name isn't Kit – it's Shirley Ann. And now I've discovered a wealth of Depression-era patterns for the 18-inch doll of that day – Patsy Ann – that can apparently be used / altered to fit today's American Girl doll. What was my hobby budget again?

[Snow-in-summer blooms at the town house.] KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Congratulations!! She is coming to such a good home. :-) I have Samantha, as you know, a Christmas present from Dan probably 12 years ago. And other dolls. They are so fun to sew for. I have piles of patterns and maybe when I get caught up with other projects, I will get back to my girls.

Do you have fabric and patterns ready and waiting for Shirley Ann? (My Aunty Shirley was Shirley Jean, born in 1929, and also had blond hair.)

Can't wait to see her! You'll have to take us along on her rescue. (Meanwhile, how could this mom sell her daughter's favorite doll???)

Kathy said...

I bought a few patterns at the Jo-Ann Simplicity sale the other day, but generally speaking I wasn't satisfied. I just couldn't find 18-inch patterns that looked 1930s. But I found an eBay store specializing in reproduced patterns from the 1930s and decided to "buy it now." The seller said she is currently offering 7 patterns for the price of 6 with shipping at $10.70. And I'll place an order to Keepsake Quilting for some reproduction feed sack prints, unless you have another suggestion.

My aunt was Shirley Ann, but it's interesting that yours was Shirley Jean because Aunt Ethel's daughter was Shirley Jean, named for Ethel's sister (Shirley) and Uncle Ernest's sister (Jean). She was called Shirley Jean, or SJ for short.

Yes, I thought it would be fun to blog about this adventure, learning about the era and the old patterns. And I don't know how they could sell the doll. I just don't think it's like it used to be. Maybe the daughter wants an iPod or her own cell phone or something. It's entirely possible this little girl is now a young adult.

Hallie said...

That doll should provide many fun projects and photo-opps!

The flowers in your yard are appropriately named. At fist glance of the blog I thought, "Is that SNOW???"

Kathy said...

Yes, I'm waiting patiently for the doll to come -- and the patterns. The patterns come from Alaska -- not sure about the doll.

The snow-in-summer plants were a good investment -- very pretty when in bloom. It's drought-tolerant so fits our criteria. The bulbs will come up through it, but so do the weeds.