Wednesday, May 19, 2010

LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY

I have just been through a time that seemed quite stressful for me. Really, it wasn't that bad, but I attended a convention in Boise that took me out of my comfort zone. I stressed over it for weeks. Then as the convention drew near, I had to devote considerable time to preparation for the half-day trip, convention responsibilities, and visiting Milo. Upon returning home, I had to write a report which was "due" at Tuesday's chapter meeting. All went well, but "life as usual" seems "long ago and far away."

My mother said that when I was little, she didn't dare tell me that we were going someplace tomorrow because I would beg to go right then. I remember that feeling of wanting to do whatever and get it out of the way rather than having to wait. As I grew older and complained of the dread of anticipation, Mother said I misread my feelings – that I was really excited. Whatever it is, I still have that angst from time to time and the convention in Boise was a case in point. I just kept telling myself that I could and should serve as delegate -- that I should do it for myself because one has to cope with life and that I could do it for my sisterhood.

Yesterday I gave my delegate's report and that experience was finally behind me. I was beginning to feel the euphoria of relief. I was also really tired. It was about 10:00 when I took my iPod and moved off to bed. "I have news," said Mike after checking his email. "Clint is driving in Thursday after work. He and Paul are going to spend the weekend rebuilding the transmission in his pick-up and then a transmission for Paul's vehicle. He wants to stay here."

Oooooo! I'm so glad he's coming, but remember the guest bed loaded with projects? Well, as of last night it was still loaded. I had finished the two afghans and found storage for my fabric stash, so, you might say I'd made a good start on clearing it off, but it had a ways to go before someone could use it. I slept soundly for two hours, then came wide awake mentally stashing the things on the bed. So, I got up and got work – yes, in the middle of the night. It really went quickly and I didn't have to worry about any other pressures. Being wide awake and in work mode, I lost hours of rest, but I'm retired, you know. I can catch up on my rest.

I was up by 6:00 and ready to leave for the farm at 8:30. It felt really good to get here. The temperature today was pleasant (maybe 75) as Mike and I went about our chores. He mowed the lawn while I unpacked boxes and weeded.

We have sustained no more damage from the horses but efforts to repair the lawn continue. Last week the lawn was power raked and this afternoon we received a load of good topsoil from Boyer's in Lapwai – 8 or 9 tons dumped between the pond and the barn. Tomorrow workers will spread the topsoil over the lawn, especially where the horses hooves created divots.



We saw a number of whitetail today. Wild flowers are in bloom, including black-eyed Susans and Indian paint brush. The first of the hummers are drinking from the feeder this evening. A stand of purple iris blooms in the side yard. More later . . . [KW]

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Very pretty day! I'm glad the hummingbirds are interested. Remember how last year was kind of a bust?

murray.warnock said...

Kathy, you must feel so good after taking on that responsibility and following through with it, despite the discomfort. I hope it was a rewarding experience.

Kathy said...

I guess it's true that last year was lackluster with the hummingbirds. It was hard to gauge how much nectar they would consume.

Yes, being a convention delegate was a rewarding experience, and I was able to provide an informative report to my chapter, and from all accounts they also found it entertaining. P.E.O. membership is meaningful to me because of the "retro" social experience it provides as well as the focus on education and development of character and talent. There are perks for the delegate and that's fun.

Chris said...

I'm not so keen on new things or trips. Must have been the air in our hometown???