Friday, June 11, 2010

COUNTRY REPORT

These are pictures I took during our recent stay at the farm. We're in town now, and Mike is packing for a four-day county-by-county geocaching tour of Oregon by motorcycle. I'm staying out of his way.

This cool, wet spring, if not appealing to humans, seems to be good for the young Montmorency sour cherry tree we planted. I believe I see new growth. We probably could have planted the evergreens after all. We were just afraid of drought conditions.




Several years ago, when neighbor Pete was tearing down the old Wright home, he said I could have any of the flora I wanted, and I transplanted some iris to our house. This year it rewarded me by blooming profusely.



But sadly, Grandma Ina's old spirea bush is dying. The rodents burrowed into the roots, killing it. I felt badly until I realized that the spirea grows abundantly there on the farm. If we choose to replace it, it will be a simple matter of transplanting a bush. Perhaps it's even time for renewal of this treasured bush.

We were grateful to see that the recent rains somewhat filled the pond, which means the old cistern also has more water. We use the cistern water to irrigate plantings around the house in the hot summertime.

Here's evidence of a bit of country politics. This new stop sign was installed a couple of months ago. Why? Is it because of increased traffic? No, it's because a couple of the neighborhood country roads were re-named -- adjusted somewhat -- supposedly to better configure them. The problem is that it's really one road, but the Curfmans don't want to live on Miller Road, and the Millers don't want to live on Curfman Road. Since the abrupt name change now occurs midway the road, a stop sign was placed to mark the end of one road and the beginning of the other. This is one stop sign we won't be heeding. No need to -- honest.

And if you're familiar with this corner, maybe you notice another change. The old Richardson homeplace was torn down this spring. It's sad to see the old places go away but really no sadder than seeing them deteriorate beyond practical repair. I believe the house had been uninhabited since the late 1950s. I'd love to have this old gate, and look at that profusion of iris. Maybe I'll ask the owner if I can lift a few for my iris bed. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

I love the gate, too. Maybe you could offer to buy it? Our yard continues to be awash with iris, but don't know when we'll have a chance to clean them up. I'll remember you when we do!

murray.warnock said...

That's a funny story. An older friend of mine told me last week that he grew up on Warnock street in South Philadelphia. It would be fun to live there - as a Warnock I'd feel entitled to my own parking space. ;-)

Kathy said...

So you still have your iris bed? They are pretty in the spring and some folks make quite a study of them. The deer don't eat them and that's a plus. I could think a small bed of iris here in town and take a sampling to the farm -- also day lilies.

Have you ever been to Warnock Street in South Philadelphia, Murray?

Hallie said...

Murray has definitely been to Warnock street. He took me there!

Kathy said...

It would be interesting to know the history of those Philadelphia Warnocks who had a street named after them.