Sunday, June 20, 2010

OREGON GEOCACHING TRIP - 2A

Finally it seemed like a decent weather window for my second trip into Oregon on my quest for logging a geocache in each county. I departed Saturday, June 12th, a little before 7:00 a.m. The temperature was in the upper 40’s which is cooler than I’d like but at least it was dry. The first leg of the trip was the same as the last one which was in Washington. To take a break I stopped for one cache in Washington which was hidden near a big tree in thick brush down an embankment near a creek. I entered Oregon near Milton Freewater and then turned east at Weston toward the little town of Elgin. This was beautiful scenic country much of it forested and with many curves and hills – ideal for motorcycling. I logged several caches in Umatilla and Union Counties before reaching Elgin. One near Elgin required about a half mile hike out in the forest, had a beautiful view overlooking a valley and had not been logged this year.

From Elgin I turned west going through LaGrande and continuing on westward. It was more open country between Elgin and LaGrande but soon got back into the winding hilly forested roads. These were some of the most fun motorcycling road I’ve seen. After passing through John Day and Canyon City I arrived in Burns about 6:00 pm where I found several other motorcyclists staying at my motel. Some were from Canada and one from North Carolina. I had a nice stay at the Silver Spur Motel, dinner at good old Subway and even a treat at the DQ.

After breakfast at the motel I was on the road again before 7:00 heading south toward Lakeview. My first stop was at a rest stop in the desert. This cache involved about a 1/2 mile hike up a hill in the desert. It was a beautiful morning, not quite as cool as the one before but it took quite a bit of searching before I located the cache. Only Mickey Warnock (and maybe Milo) could miss a turn out in the middle of nowhere. It was located at a service station which was the only building for miles around and I guess I was looking at that. At any rate, after about 20 miles I realized my mistake (I knew I wasn’t supposed to be heading toward Bend) and had to turn around.

I found a couple of very nice caches before reaching Lakeview. One was at Lake Abert which is a beautiful alkali lake in the desert but the noseeums were terrible. The other was at Chandler Wayside and involved a steep hike up a hill. After being on a motorcycle for a long time the caches that require a bit of exertion are welcome.

I had two caches lined up in Lakeview but wasn’t able to find either one. One was actually in the museum which was closed as it was Sunday. Although I didn’t find the cache at the other location either I got a good picture of a couple of quail.

From Lakeview I ventured south into California because it was the only state west of the Mississippi that I had not logged a cache. I got two caches on the east side of Goose lake which straddles the border. I had lunch at one which was a beautiful spot at a Willow Creek Ranch memorial.

After lunch I retraced my route back to Lakeview where I gassed up before heading west toward Klamath Falls. I logged one cache between Lakeview and K Falls which took care of Klamath County. Highway 66 between K Falls and Ashland is a wonderful motorcycle road and I saw several other motorcyclists taking advantage of it. I picked up three caches on this stretch which was in Jackson County.

I arrived in Medford at the Rodeway around six o’clock. It was a much bigger city than I had imagined. I had a sandwich at a Burger King and got a couple of caches in town. After returning to the motel I lubed my chain, showered and hit the sack.

To be continued….. M/W

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm really kinda sorry I missed this trip. My paternal great-grandparents, Lafe and Lucy Dickson, brought their six children to Lakeview, Oregon, in the early 1880s and stayed there long enough for Grandma Ina and Aunt Bertha to finish high school. In fact, they were members of the first graduating class from Lakeview High School, 1889. Some years ago I donated one of my many "extra" photos of that graduating class to the museum at Lakeview. No, they didn't have one.

Hallie said...

How on Earth did you get yourself in the photo of the 45 parallel? Did you setup your camera on the bike and then run out into the road? If so, how many times did it take until it worked?

M/W said...

It only took once, Hallie. I have a little 6" flexible tripod that I can set up almost anywhere and I can set the camera for a 10 second delay. Milo calls me Geoman after the Survivorman show where the guy does all his own filming.