Friday, July 23, 2010

2:45 A.M. -- UP AND AT 'EM

"Now -- what time did you say we need to get up?" queried Mike. Grandson Jack's six-day visit has been all too short and it's time to return him to his parents.

I have learned from experience that someone has to think through these details and insist on timeliness. I had it covered. "His flight leaves Spokane at 6:15 a.m. We should be at the airport by 5:00. I think if we're on the road by 3:00 we'll be okay. Perhaps we should have driven to Spokane this afternoon and stayed in a motel."

"Why should we have done that?" asked Mike in a tone of incredulity.

"So that we would get some sleep tonight," was my response.

Before I went to bed, I had baked some muffins and packed cereal and drinks. I set two alarm clocks for 2:45 a.m. Jack advised me that he would be all packed and ready to get into the car when awakened. We were settled for sleep by 10:15.

Mike started talking to me at 2:31 a.m. Shortly after 3:00 we were in the car and headed into the darkness. Jack fastened his seat belt and collapsed onto a pillow. He would sleep all the way to Spokane.

Once again we traversed the rolling hills to Spokane, this time watching as the horizon grew lighter and lighter and finally we began to see the sun. It was daylight -- and surprisingly chilly -- when we reached the airport at 5:00.

The Frontier Airlines counter appeared to be just opening. We didn't have to wait in line long, but it took 20 minutes to check in. First the clerk couldn't find Jack's reservation. Next -- that would be $20.00 to check Jack's bag, which Mike charged to his credit card. Oh -- and um -- he's a "UM" (unaccompanied minor), so that's a "UM fee" of $50.00. Mike uncomplainingly handed her his credit card again while I squelched the urge to say, "What! I'll just keep him if that's the way you're going to be!" While other passengers were completing their check-ins on either side of us, the process for us seemed unending. Now Mike was asked to show ID and to fill out a rather lengthy form. There was no place to write comfortably as counter space has been replaced by kiosks. Finally after 20 minutes Jack was ready to pass through security and Mike had a pass to accompany him to the gate. What Mike didn't have was something very important to him -- a receipt for his credit expenditures.

By 5:40 Mike had returned to the lobby where I was waiting, reporting that Jack was on the plane. Returning to our parked car we ate the snack breakfast I had packed. We had discussed the possibility of shopping in Spokane, but since we'd have to wait until at least 9:00 for the earliest stores to open, we decided not to do so. A new Jo-Ann's has opened in the Spokane Valley and I hear it's pretty wonderful, but three hours of waiting for 10 minutes of looking around just didn't seem worth it to me. So, we took advantage of the still early hours, cool temperatures, and light traffic to drive back home.

We were crossing the Snake River at the Southway Bridge into Clarkston when my cell phone rang. "Gramma, we've landed," said Jack. I thanked him for letting us know.

And now it's on to the next thing -- the annual backpacking trip with Hallie and Nick which comes up next weekend. Beds have to be changed, food planned, shopping done. KW

7 comments:

Hallie said...

Why do you need a receipt for a credit card transaction? The credit card will record the transaction for you.

I flew to Valdosta, GA when I was 12 or 13 all by myself and I even had to change planes in Atlanta!

Kathy said...

Your dad is obsessive compulsive about charges. He notes each and every one by receipt and then checks them against our statements. That's the way we know when we're double charged at the grocery store. That's the way we know when an odd charge for $25+ appears on the statement and we suspect we didn't make the charge. Yes, he drives me nuts sometimes, but at the end of the day, the month, or the year, he can tell how much we've spent and where.

The gal at the Frontier counter said that a young person has to be 15 before he can travel unaccompanied without security, but I remember reading in past years that it was 12. And we had never been asked to pay a fee on our end before, so Mike questioned her. We think there's some gouging going on.

I guarantee you that Jack knows the ropes of flying and how to comport himself. And you also gained valuable experience with your youthful travel.

DrJulie-Ann said...

His trip is over already?! He just arrived!!

Kathy said...

*Gone already? He just arrived!* Yes, it seemed so to us, too. In fact, he was only here six days in actuality, and we were glad to get him for that long. His summer schedule is quite full, including Scout camp and vacationing with family. And -- school starts for him mid-August, I believe. The year may come when he can't fit us in.

debdog42 said...

Why doesn't Jack fly in and out of here?

Kathy said...

Yancey (Jack's dad) makes his flight arrangements on our behalf, but I think it has to do with 1) no direct flight between Denver and Lewiston, and 2) fare is greatly reduced if he flies to Spokane instead of Lewiston.

Chris said...

Boy, that was a fast week! So glad you all had a great time.

Those do sound like strange charges. The airlines certainly aren't what they used to be. (The thought just came to me--neither am I!!!) The times, they are a changin'--a sure sign I'm getting older. :-)