Thursday, July 29, 2010

JULY AFTERNOON STORM

Wednesday (July 28) we were out the door right after breakfast. Mike and Nellie continue to practice their backpacking skills while I tag along for the exercise. I laugh to myself that Mike exercises regularly to be able to do this hiking while I call the hike my exercise. We walked up Dobson Road and out Curfman Road toward the cemetery -- just short of two miles. If we had known the distance was short of two miles, we'd have walked a bit farther.

I am so happy to report that the repair I did to Nellie's pack is working well. I simply sewed denim over the top of the fleecy fabric tabs that protect her belly from the buckles. Unfortunately the fleecy stuff acted as a magnet for weed seeds, but the denim does stay clean.

It was a beautiful morning, but in the afternoon the dark sky to the south west announced the possibility of a storm, which brings a different kind of beauty. "I'd better get my bike ride then, " said Mike. (See what I mean about the exercise.) Nellie also let me know that since Mike was riding his bike, we should go for our afternoon walk, despite our earlier hike.


So I took the camera for some shots of the distant storm. Here's a picture of the farmhouse over the top of the barley in the north field.




These pictures just look off across the prairie. I love the grain in the foreground and for miles around with the backdrop of the dark sky. I saw only a few lightning strikes on the other side of the canyon with faint thunder. "Did you hear that?" said Nellie, her eyes asking for reassurance. Nellie doesn't like thunder and lightning. "Come on," I said. "It's way over there."




It's times like this that I wish I knew how to use the panorama feature on my camera. Hmmmm . . . daughter and husband coming for visit. Something to play with . . .



Evening sun through the clouds after the storm. Very little rain came from it. KW

No comments: