Monday, July 26, 2010

MORE ADVENTURES OF ACTION JACKSON AND THE GETALONG GRAMPA

We picked up grandson, Jackson, from Denver last late Friday evening in Spokane. Saturday we made some final preparations for our adventure and then headed for the farm. The next morning we were off early in the Dakota towing the 4 wheeler heading up Highway 12 along the Clearwater river and later the Lochsa river. Our first stop for a couple of geocaches was in Greer a few miles up river from Orofino. We were successful on only one, however, which was hidden just off the highway toward the river.

We stopped in Kamiah to gas up both the truck and 4 wheeler and then made a stop in Kooskia. We went to a nice park there where Jack found the smallest cache he had ever found. The next stop was a short way up river where we took a Pathtag from a cache. A Pathtag is a collectable enameled decorated coin about the size of a nickel with a small hole in it.

Our main mission for this day was to do an 11 mile hike up Fish Creek and back to find a geocache there. Many years ago Murray and I had backpacked this same route so it was somewhat familiar. I had a belt that would carry two 34 ounce bottles of water and at first I considered carrying just one but fortunately decided to carry two. As it turned out, we could have used four. Unbeknownst to me at the time, Jack drinks water like an elephant.

We started up the trail at 10:30 and it was already very hot. The first two thirds of the trail was in good shape but we could have used a machete for the last third. It is an old well packed trail and nothing was growing in it but there were bushes grown over it that you had to push through. We finally arrived at the cache site a little before 1:00. We looked and looked and looked some more but could not find the geocache. We stopped for lunch and then looked some more to no avail. It was very disappointing but that’s the way it is sometimes. We were already out of water by this time and I was fervently wishing I had brought my water purifier filter along. I cannot remember when I’ve been as thirsty as I was by the time we got back to the truck. We drank our fill of ice water and downed a couple of Dr. Peppers immediately.

We had planned to stay at the Wilderness Gateway campground nearby but after looking it over we didn’t like that it wasn’t really close to the river. Also it was 40 miles from our next morning starting point with the 4 wheeler. So after picking up a couple more geocaches we headed up river. We checked out two river access places but campers were already there. Finally, less than a mile from our next morning starting point we found the White Pine River Access. It was absolutely perfect – room for one campsite (ours) a beautiful beach and a little stream right behind the tent. There was also a little spot to put the trailer. We had complete privacy and a great camp.

I set up the cooker and did a beer butt chicken and vegetables wrapped in foil. It was pretty good but I should have brought more charcoal. We also had a nice swim/bath after setting up the tent. Jack expertly made a fire and after supper he roasted some peanut butter Golden Graham cookies that Kathy had made. I passed on that but he said they were really good. To be continued: M/W

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I like Jack's short hair--looks like he'll be shaving that 'stache soon if he's not already.

Not so sure about the roasted graham cracker squares myself. I think they're pretty good in the un-roasted state.

Very pretty location. It was probably nice sleeping next to the music of the river.

Kathy said...

I had a partial package of marshmallows I meant for them to take but failed to pack it. I was pleased that Jack had improvised, and I'll bet the Golden Graham Squares (whatever Betty Crocker calls them these days) were good roasted.