Thursday, August 12, 2010

HARVEST ON THE RIDGE – ALREADY SO SOON?

Eerie storm sky at homestead Tuesday evening, 8-10-10


I thought I heard the distant sound of a semi this morning. My sleepy consciousness barely acknowledged it and soon forgot it altogether.

Yesterday's mountain bike ride didn't go well for me. I just didn't feel much like going and my odometer barely registered five miles as I came back into the yard. I resolved to do better today.

With my trusty companion Nellie running alongside, I began my arduous up-and-down trek across Russell Ridge. Heading down Miller Road, I decided to go all the way to the end today – to the old Shawley place. Whizzing along past the Miller's, we scared up a whitetail doe that ran parallel to me. I saw her glance across the road and was wary of her, afraid that she would suddenly decide to cross in front of me. I was relieved when she headed off in the other direction but continued to be mindful of her anyway. Sure enough! As I zoomed down Miller's mountain, pedaling for maximum speed, there was that doe running across in front of me. I was grateful for the mental preparation but I did brake and lose the momentum that would have carried me up the next hill. I made it – I just had to work harder.

I was tired as I continued on – another two miles to the end of the road. It was slow-going. As I approached my destination, I noticed a 4-wheeler parked at the roadside, and a stocky little man stepped onto the road from a field, carrying lots of bright yellow pipe and yellow plastic sheeting. "Oh! I didn't expect to see anyone here!" he commented in surprise. Likewise.

Just up the next hill I arrived at the end of the road. The gate was open and I could see a combine and several trucks. I have a rule for my riding – when harvest starts, I'm careful about where I ride – and I was not pleased to find that I had no option but to share this narrow country road with harvest traffic. After a quick swig of my water, I called Nellie and we headed back the way we came.

Storm sky to south over Little Canyon Tuesday evening
Now – I really wanted to go fast. I hate the feeling that something can come down on me from behind. In fact, I'm a little paranoid about being followed. The noise of my tires and the wind in my ears keeps me from hearing acutely and I can imagine I hear trucks everywhere. But we kept moving – Nellie and I – often slowly as I climbed the hills. And Nellie runs on the opposite side of the road from where I ride, which also makes me nervous now. But being alert counts for something. We met a pick-up, and the driver waved cheerily as he left me in a cloud of dust. On past the Miller's, where this time I had to get off and push my bike.

Something funny happened there, though. A couple of quail were ambling down the road, engrossed in a tete-a-tete. "Watch this," said Nellie. She ran up alongside the quail and they ignored her, continuing their conversation. "What!" exclaimed Nellie, doing a double-take. "You can't ignore me. I am frightening you." Just then the quail did a double-take on Nellie's presence and took wing. She took chase, but it was all harmless pre-season practice for everyone.

Back on my bike and pedaling – oh so excruciatingly slowly – here came a semi heading toward us. At least he slowed down. I got off my bike and called for Nellie, pointing for her to put herself between me and the bank. One thing about Nellie – she doesn't pay much attention to me until she hears that note of panic. Then she quickly does as I tell her. The driver gave me a friendly wave as I turned my back to the dust he left in his wake.

Rustic raised beds
As Miller Road became Curfman Road, I sense a vehicle behind me, but as I expected, it turned to head out to the highway. Nellie and I continued to Dobson Road. Never was I so glad to see it – the home stretch. Nellie's demeanor seemed to say she was relieved, too. Now we knew for sure we would not meet any more vehicles – not today.

Farmer Kyle came in today, bringing us a big old tire to use for a raised bed. He said it will be several weeks before the barley on our place is ready to harvest.
 

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Did the lower row of paper on the beans fall/blow away or did you decide that extra row was unnecessary?

I have not felt much like a rigorous routine of exercise this week. And in the spirit of "listen to your body" I did not do anything yesterday or Tuesday.

VERY pretty pictures!!

Kathy said...

The paper was in disarray when we arrived on Tuesday, so I just clipped what was there back into place. I credit our newspaper shade with saving the beans from burning up in the hot sun. The beans are blooming now.

Mike listened to his body today, too, and didn't exercise. However, he has been raking weeds out of the pond, so it's not like he hasn't been using his muscles.

Chris said...

What a woman!! And what a story! Well done.

We've been super busy up here and I'm sadly behind on my computer. After this weekend things should slow down and I'll get an email off to you.

Chris said...

Totally forgot to say what incredibly beautiful pictures those are!!! Absolutely gorgeous.