Friday, October 8, 2010

HUNTER GATHERERS

Here it is – the second Friday in October and the flickers are picking on our old country house. It's always something . . .

My mother used to insist on a fire in the furnace during the first week of September. She said if she didn't heat the house a little on chilly mornings, at least one of her children would take cold. Well, you know, the whole weather change thing . . . It has yet to be chilly enough to warrant consistent heat. Overnight temperatures haven't even approached freezing. Mike and I were reminiscing that this time last year – at opening deer season – it was cold.

Yesterday morning Mike was up early and out to scout for sign of deer. After tramping the property for an hour, he came back to report that he had seen neither "hide nor hair." We're into a rainy spell now and the deer are just pretty savvy. They know when it's time to seek shelter. So – if you were rootin' for the deer, the score is already Deer-1, Mike-zip, though the season doesn't open until Sunday, the 10th.

After a little morning rain gave way to a lighter sky, Mike suggested we should head over to the woodlot at the Senter place. Our last trip to town (Tuesday, Sept. 28), Mike drove the big old Dodge Ram with a load of wood, pulling the utility trailer, also loaded with wood. The trailer-load of limb wood went to Ken, who sustained a tendon injury the last time he and Mike went into the woods. The pick-up load is now stacked neatly on pallets behind the shed in town. We had already brought a trailer-load here to the farmhouse. We are pleased for this opportunity to be working a year ahead on our wood.

"I won't take all of it," I heard Mike tell our neighbor, Chuck. "Probably just some limb wood."

"That's okay," responded Chuck. "Take all you want – leave the rest. No one else has spoken for it."

And I notice that little by little we've worked our way into taking most of the wood. Mike was pleased to discover that the locust splits easily – or so he says – and we have cut trunks into measured lengths to be split and stacked. My part is to handle the measuring stick, throw limbs and branches on the slash pile, and assist in loading. The elm, however, is another story -- resistant to splitting.


So yesterday forenoon the three of us headed back to Senter's where we had left the trailer. We loaded what was already split, then cut, split, and loaded more. On our way back to the house, we stopped at an elderberry bush to pick some luscious-looking clumps, but you know how it is with elderberries. When we approached the bush, luring us with its promise, we discovered that the berries were just out of reach, hanging off a steep, rocky drop-off. Even if Mike could have negotiated the drop-off, he would have been too far below the berries to capture the clumps. We tried with our long hook but to no avail. But, as it is with elderberry, we were able to pick a few clumps here and there and fill a two-gallon bucket.

And Nellie! – she picked up a clump that dropped on the ground and ran away with it. When we asked her to fetch, she disobediently munched the clump – berries, stems, and all.

After lunch at the house, I processed the elderberries into two quarts of juice in preparation for Elderberry Fest 2010 to be held October 16. I was just ready to head for the vintage sewing room to work on an apron I'm making, when Mike announced his intention to go back to the woodlot and finish loading the trailer. I knew it would be hard for him without me, so I volunteered to go. The worst of it was knowing that I would be really tired at the end of the day, but at least I had leftovers to serve for supper. We worked hard for several hours hearing thunder in the distance and watching a storm develop to the south and east. You know how it is with "scattered showers." It doesn't rain everywhere, and we really didn't get much at the farmhouse. Anyway, during a break in our work, I picked a few more apples from the Senter's old tree.

We were able to bring another trailer-load of wood to our woodshed – already split and ready to be stacked. KW

[Bloggers new photo feature which allows for captions under pictures is great, but as is often the case, working with it is frustrating. Captioning prevents opening the picture for a larger view, and a couple of readers really enjoy seeing the photos in larger format. I will use captioning sparingly.
Photo 1 -- Morning storm to the northwest.
Photo 2 -- Mike target shooting.
Photo 3 -- Mike at the Senter woodlot.
Photo 4 -- Storm to the southeast from the Senter place.
Photo 5 -- The old apple tree.]

7 comments:

Hallie said...

Ah ha! You HAVE been busy! The skies are always beautiful there even if it's a storm rolling in.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

My, my that writing about the wood brings back lots of memories. When I was a kid we always heated with wood. When I was bringing up my children we heated with wood. So, I've done lots & lots of hauling, etc. I do love the warmth of wood heat, but out here on the P. prairie there's just not a lot of it and anyway, our house does not have a place for a wood stove. Sometimes modernism just is not at the pinnacle it was advertised.

Kathy said...

Yes -- beautiful vistas here.

This land on Russell Ridge was forested -- had to be cleared for agriculture. We have Ponderosa pine here and some Douglas fir. Of course the wood we've been cutting is from someone's front yard -- locust and elm (though I said hawthorn, which I will correct).

Of course, wood heat is controversial because of the smoke. Some folks really disapprove. We have an efficient insert here at the farm house, a little wood stove in town.

debdog42 said...

I wondered what had happened to being able to "click and enlarge" the photos!! LOL!

Hallie said...

Hi Dr. Molly! I'm surprised that you do not have a wood stove/fireplace at your Palouse homestead. I know that Dad often gets wood in the Blue Mountains which aren't so far away, but it's still hard work. I've decided that when I have a house it MUST have a fireplace, but truly, I even enjoy a good gas fireplace. :)

Chris said...

We use wood to heat quite a bit. We have an insert in the basement fireplace. It's quite the chore for Dan to get wood these days as he's not out on a weekly basis as he once was. And he gets for us and for my parents which adds up to a lot of cutting and chopping.

When I am cold nothing warms me up like backing up to the insert and getting that wonderful heat all the way through. Then I plunk myself down on my warm behind and enjoy the way the heat continues to keep me cozy.

I often wonder what the old timers who worked so hard to clear the land up here would say about all the people who are buying up the farmland in 5- to 40-acre "lots" and replanting trees.

By the way, no finches pecking the house (maybe it's because it's brick??), but we have some very loud frogs!! There's one in the pot on the deck and another in the shrubs under our bedroom window. Croooaaak!!

Kathy said...

Ha! -- wondering what the old-timers would think about re-forestation. The last time I visited with neighbor Pete, he complained because his son-in-law wants to plant evergreen trees on land that Pete cleared. Of course, Mike and I have a plan to increase the tree population here, but we have lots of places to plant that won't interfere with the fields.