Friday, October 1, 2010

JUST HAVING FUN ON THE PRAIRIE

Unlike Kathy’s thoughtful and insightful blog contributions mine are just about my little adventures. Bird season opened in Idaho (except for pheasant) Saturday the 18th. Ken and I made the opening day hunt on a local doctor’s land that borders the Snake River a little south of Lewiston. Ken is still recovering from an injury sustained in one of our firewood cutting adventures so he pretty much stuck to the top of the hills bordering the fields whereas I ventured further down the mountain. We had gotten an early start hoping to catch the birds (chukars and huns) up high as they often feed in the stubble early. We weren’t very successful with that strategy although we did get up a covey or two just below the rim. The star thistle was the worse I’ve ever seen it – in many areas chest high and very thick and wide spread. It was very hot before mid morning and my new setup this season consisting of a hydration pack on my back and a belt with a game bag and shell bags worked well. The heat is really tough on our hairy hided hunting partners and the water is mostly for them. Nellie went through 2 liters in about 3 hours. In spite of the heat, slippery rocks from the previous evening’s rain and star thistle we had a pretty good hunt. Ken bagged 3 chukars and I got 5 chukars and 2 huns. However, we found the chukars in this area were mostly juvenile birds.

Tuesday, the 22nd , Kathy and I headed for the farm. After completing a few chores Thursday morning I had a Tootsie Pop and discovered on the wrapper an Indian shooting a star with his bow and arrow. Grandson, Jackson, says that’s good luck. Combined with the date being the 23rd and I’ve always liked that number and I remarked to Nellie that maybe we should venture out for a little hunt. Now I’m not superstitious at all, but what the heck, let’s go hunting.

Game birds on the farm are mostly restricted to huns (Hungarian or gray partridge) which are the fastest flushing and most challenging birds to bag in this country. This morning I was carrying my favorite partridge gun which is a 12 gauge Remington 870 pump. We entered the stubble down by the east edge of the pond and we had no sooner entered the field when Nellie hit a hard point. Huns usually flush so fast and coordinated that I very seldom get more that one on a covey flush. This time, however, I got two birds with the first shot, a third one with my second shot and yet a fourth with my third shot. Wow – my first ever home run on huns! Nellie quickly brought back the first three birds but had not seen the fourth one which had flown west toward the pond and had fallen in chest high grass and weeds rather than in the field. I directed her over to the general area and within a couple of minutes she had the bird. I like to hunt the huns all season so I usually restrict each hunt to 2 birds or one covey rise so I figured that less than 5 minute hunt would be it for the huns.

I had seen a covey of quail down at the corner of where our lane leaves the road toward the house so we thought we would see if we could find those. So I take Nellie down there and sure enough she goes on point. When the covey flushes I drop two in the dense thicket on the hillside and hit a third one that flutters over the field above. We spend 10 or 15 minutes hunting for the two quail in the thicket and eventually give up on finding one of them. Nellie had not seen it fall and I wasn’t sure just where it had hit either. I suspected the third bird had flown quite a ways out in the field above or maybe didn’t fall at all. Nevertheless, you have to look. No sooner had we entered the field than Nellie went on point again and I figured it must be the wounded quail. To my surprise another covey of huns flushed out a ways and I dropped one with the only shot I had time to make. Not wanting too much of a good thing we headed for the house after a quick but very successful farm hunt. M/W

8 comments:

Yancey Warnock said...

Well done, Old Man!

Hallie said...

That is a VERY funny picture of Nellie with her tongue out! It doesn't seem like you can call it hunting when it's that easy. ;P

murray.warnock said...

Congratulations, Dad. Maybe an easy hunt like that is payoff for all the more challenging ones.

M/W said...

You're absolutely right, Murray. In fact, two days after this hunt I hunted for almost 3 hours on part of our place as well as the Miller's adjacent to ours and did not even see a bird.

Joanne said...

I would like to know how to clean and prepare a bird for cooking. I would also know how to cook them.

Joanne said...

I meant, "I would also like to know how to cook them". I don't know how to go back and edit comments after they are already published! I have an old pioneer recipe for roast goose, but I don't know how they prepared small birds.

Kathy said...

Hi Joanne! Alas! we cannot edit comments. If dissatisfied, your only option is to delete by selecting the little trash can on the bottom left.

Mike cleans the birds and skins them. If I understand correctly, though, you want to know how to cook them. I don't know how they did it back in the day. You can use any chicken recipe, but often the birds are tougher than chicken and need a longer cooking time. Crock Pot recipes are great. Soups and "chicken and noodle" recipes work well. Also, cooking the meat in the crock pot (or pressure cooker, if you're comfortable with that) both tenderizes and prepares the meat for "cooked chicken" recipes.

Richard V. Shields III said...

It's nice to be reminded that my memory is not as good as I want it to be. I remember the days that 'remington' was a four letter word and nothing would do but a Browning sweet 16. Maybe you switched because of the effectiveness of the pump because I don't remember the Browning beng that deadly on the dove population of south Mississippi (although I admit you were much better than I).