Saturday, December 11, 2010

AHA! -- MOTHER'S SWEDISH SPRITZ RECIPE

Deb commented on a previous post that the recipe Mother gave her was different from the one I found in her old recipe box. So, I looked harder in her last box and found that recipe.

SWEDISH SPRITZ
attributed to Better Homes & Gardens
1 1/2 c butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 well-beaten egg
2 tsp vanilla (& Mother added 1/2 tsp orange extract)
4 cups sifted flour (Mother suggests 3 1/2 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
Cream butter. Add sugar & cream thoroughly. Add egg & flavorings. Beat well.
Add sifted dry ingredients. Mix to smooth dough. Force through press. Bake in hot oven -- 400 -- until set but not brown 8-10 minutes. Makes 4 dozen.

It's interesting to note that Mother evidently added the orange extract and that she used it along with the vanilla extract. I'm not sure I have any orange extract, and it seems like it's pricey. I know the last time I thought to buy some orange or lemon peel I decided grating my own would be fine.

I think there were three cards of religious theme in my dad's collection from 1946 -- this and two that were left over from those my dad was sending. I think this card is effective in its two-color simplicity.  KW

8 comments:

debdog42 said...

The orange extract is an absolute because it is what gives them that interesting flavor. A bottle lasts a long time.

Hallie said...

Wouldn't orange extract just be orange juice? I don't get it...

Leah said...

Hallie: No no no. Orange juice can't be a substitute for orange extract any more than cream soda can be used for vanilla extract. Look at this website, Spice Barn, that sells extracts and lists their ingredients.
http://spicebarn.com/orange_extract,_pure.htm

Extracts are very very strong. Also, most extracts contain alcohol. Extracts are about 35% alcohol whereas most liquor is 40%.

Kathy will tell you that you don't substitute something in a recipe unless you know for sure it will replace the other item.

Hallie said...

That is crazy! You'd think you'd hear more about teenagers getting drunk off of extracts if they contain that much alcohol and anyone can buy them. Perhaps the cost is prohibitive (and the taste). I guess I have to do some more research about how extracts are created.

Kathy said...

Extracts are concentrated flavoring agents. Vanilla and peppermint extract are made by dissolving a spice or flavoring oil in alcohol.

The other day at Ross I noticed "orange essence." Apparently that's an oil, even more concentrated than an extract.

When I was a high school undergraduate, it was rumored that one of the graduating senior girls was drunk on vanilla extract. That's the only time I ever heard of someone actually imbibing the extract. It's strong, it's bitter, it's expensive, and it's sold in very small bottles -- or in the case of vanilla, relatively small bottles. But when it comes right down to it, it doesn't seem any more perverted to me than some of the other perverted recreational drugs that people pursue.

And Deb, you're right that a bottle lasts a long time. With your comment, I resolved to buy a bottle of orange extract. Apparently I had resolved previously: I found a brand new bottle on the shelf.

Chris said...

I remember once trying a sip of vanilla because it smelled soooo good. Gack! Smelled good, tasted horrible! :-)

I always use almond extract in my spritz. And in my poppy seed bread. I'm a big almond lover.

Kathy, your vanilla story has me intrigued.

debdog42 said...

Yes extracts are nasty tasting but make for yummy baking! I use Mexican vanilla for my vanilla (got spoiled years ago!) and lemon for a few things including baked Germans and can't think what else for the orange but the Spritz. I just don't bake like I used to due to this damn illness I have but like to be prepared. I also stock rum extract and use to have almond too.

debdog42 said...

Hallie, I forgot to say that orange extract is made, I think, from the orange peel.